Red cherry shrimp not breeding anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I've had red cherry shrimp in my 5 gallon tank for a good year now and they were breeding fine and now all of a sudden they have stopped I don't even see eggs on the their backs either

Why is this? Can someone help me please?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old, tired, and would rather watch TV and sleep....

Check you tank parameters, a system out of whack will make even the most prolific breeders stop.

Also can try to fake a barometric change(thunder storm). 50% water change of cooler water.

What temperature is the tank?
What is the nitrate?
What is the ph?
How many shrimp? Is it overpopulated?

Check you tank parameters, a system out of whack will make even the most prolific breeders stop.

Also can try to fake a barometric change(thunder storm). 50% water change of cooler water.

What temperature is the tank?
What is the nitrate?
What is the ph?
How many shrimp? Is it overpopulated?

Hi my tank parameters are fine I haven't changed anything I'm doing with the tank or them everything is as normal but for some reason they ain't breeding :/

Yeah today I'm going to do a bit more than 50% water change and see what happens

The tank is an open lid tank and the temperature that is set to is 30C I don't know how much the temp actually is as it's open

I don't know about the water but again I haven't changed anything so the water should be fine otherwise they would probably die. And it's not overpopulated there are only like 6-8 in there

Hello anyone?

Soft music and candles???

All kidding aside, how old are the shrimp? I think they kinda peek and then decline. Or are they younger and not breeding?

There is maybe 1-2 that are a bit bigger and older than the others but I do have younger ones in there as well which aren't breeding as well :/

I had the same problem a few months back. I decided since they stopped breeding it was the perfect time to move the tank without worry of siphoning the tiny shrimplets out. I took the entire tank apart and moved them to my fish room, then set it back up with a few new decorations and 100% water change from the move. Now they are back to their prolific selves and seem more lively than before.

Do you know the PPM on the tank?

I know that a tank can be fine when tasting the ammonia, nitrites, etc....

But after a while something is building up we aren't measuring and suddenly things aren't thriving like they used to.

Maybe i'll deep clean my tank and do a fresh water change and see what happens.

Also I am sterling to get this greenish stuff growing in that tank what is if and how do I stop it! IMG_1476460473.398284.jpgIMG_1476460482.114972.jpg

Ok i'll try that thank and also could anyone tell me what's that's growing on my filter and in my tank

TDS meters are pretty inexpensive. Good for monitoring TDS before and after water changes.
After a major rescape, my RCS did not breed for 6-8 months. Could not figure out what the culprit was. No deaths; just no breeding. However, in the last few months lots of breeding and baby shrimp.
The green stuff is probably algae. It does look a little like BGA (blue green algae, Cyanobacteria).

TDS meters are pretty inexpensive. Good for monitoring TDS before and after water changes.
After a major rescape, my RCS did not breed for 6-8 months. Could not figure out what the culprit was. No deaths; just no breeding. However, in the last few months lots of breeding and baby shrimp.
The green stuff is probably algae. It does look a little like BGA (blue green algae, Cyanobacteria).

ok thanks for the advice and also how would i get rid of the blue green algae and how is it caused and why is it growing in my tank?

thanks

I've used hydrogen peroxide to get rid of blue green algae, but I've never tried it in a shrimp tank.

Just wanted to ask for this tank it's an open top 20litre tank and during the week water evaporates so I wondering can I just fill it with water straight from the tap without adding the decholrinater to the water as the water is a small amount?

If it were a larger tank I would say *maybe*. But with a small volume (~5 gallons), I would not risk it (adding straight from the tap). You are already dealing with a lack of breeding... why add another factor to the situation?
If you let the top off water sit out for a day then you would be fine, assuming that you water only has chlorine. If chloramines are present, then you should treat the water.

30C temps?????? Might want to lower it a bit. Like back down to 26C (78F). 86°F is just crazy......

As for the water evaporation, just set aside 1 or 2 liter of water in a pitcher. I keep a 2L pitcher of water that I pour in my tank when water level is low, so I know I don't have to deal with chlorine..

Back
Top Bottom