Setting up a 15L for Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wy Renegade

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got some students looking to work with freshwater shrimp. Did some research last year as I had aquired some of these, but didn't have any luck. So someone with experience walk me through setting up a small tank dedicated to these guys, as well as the best type for a rank beginner to start with, as students will be in charge of this tank.

Got some students looking to work with freshwater shrimp. Did some research last year as I had aquired some of these, but didn't have any luck. So someone with experience walk me through setting up a small tank dedicated to these guys, as well as the best type for a rank beginner to start with, as students will be in charge of this tank.

Red Cherry Shrimp are quite possibly the easiest shrimp you can keep and sustain in the hobby.

I am sure there are people on here who have some and are willing to sell them for cheaper than what you'll find at the LFS.

Setting up a tank for them is very easy. The biggest thing they they want will be a fine grain substrate like sand. This allows them to turn the substrate over with their tiny claws when searching for food. Aside from that, some easy plants like crypts, mosses, anubias, and java fern with some DW creates a safe environment for them to breed. They aren't overly picky about water parameters and can adjust to what you give them.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

I kept a thriving population of RCS is a 1g bowl that was dirt capped with sand. Plants and shrimp both loved it. Can be a little difficult on the initial setup with the dirt, but becomes pretty low maintenance afterwards.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I think that with students in charge of the tank, I'm going to avoid the dirt. I'll probably go with a sand substrate. Will a double foam filter provide sufficient filtration or do I need something in addition? How about lighting? I'd like to do some basic, simple plants like anubias and I've got some moss balls which I understand they like. Just a simple plant light is sufficient I presume?

Also, how deep on the sand?

Awesome, thanks for the info. I think that with students in charge of the tank, I'm going to avoid the dirt. I'll probably go with a sand substrate. Will a double foam filter provide sufficient filtration or do I need something in addition? How about lighting? I'd like to do some basic, simple plants like anubias and I've got some moss balls which I understand they like. Just a simple plant light is sufficient I presume?

Also, how deep on the sand?

A double foam filter will do just fine. They produce such a small bioload especially if you keep it planted.

Lighting is dependent on plants. If you go with crypts, anubias, moss balls, and the likes a standard light should suffice. If you're adding rooted plants like crypts I would go about 2 inches of sand and maybe some fert root tabs just to keep them happy. Those are very easy and just need to be replaced about once every three or so months.

Alrighty, easy enough. Is standard gray/tannish sand sufficient for visibility or do I need to consider a darker color?

Alrighty, easy enough. Is standard gray/tannish sand sufficient for visibility or do I need to consider a darker color?

Darker (black) will make the reds of the shrimp pop more but not necessary :) I have mine in the standard color and they looked fine.

Good enough - I have access to the standard, so it will have to do. I tried finding some darker colors previously, but other than Walmart, never found anyone who carried any and no one locally carries the black diamond sandblasting sand.

Back
Top Bottom