Shrimp Bowl Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
so, I have a dirty, what I belieive is a 2 gallon fish bowl. would this make a good shrimp tank? I figured I could take a terra cotta pot, and with a dremel tool make some holes in it and use it as a cave. then put some small plants in it, add a fishbowl filter kit, and voila, shrimp bowl! I'd tank gravel outa my 45 to help it cycle as well. Suggestions on my plan, and on what shrimp to put in it please.

This could be cool. Do you plan on having live plants? If so, then you can get a desk lamp to warm the water and help the plants grow.

For sure do lots of live plants and good plant substrate. It'll look super cool. Any 'dwarf' shrimp species would be great. Cherry Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Sukura Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Red Rili Shrimp, I don't know the names of these ones excatly, but there are little yellow, blue, etc shrimp. You could even do a few amano shrimp or color variations or the amano shrimp, but only do 2-3 of those, since they are larger. I don't know of you want to, but you can use a little sponge filter and a small heater that is 10 watts, and the plants and shrimp will do a lot better. but if not, it's not a huge deal.

And if you get a dwarf shrimp species, after they start breeding, put some in your larger tank or give them to your lfs so your tank doesn't get over run!

For sure do lots of live plants and good plant substrate. It'll look super cool. Any 'dwarf' shrimp species would be great. Cherry Shrimp, Crystal Red Shrimp, Red Sukura Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Red Rili Shrimp, I don't know the names of these ones excatly, but there are little yellow, blue, etc shrimp. You could even do a few amano shrimp or color variations or the amano shrimp, but only do 2-3 of those, since they are larger. I don't know of you want to, but you can use a little sponge filter and a small heater that is 10 watts, and the plants and shrimp will do a lot better. but if not, it's not a huge deal.

And if you get a dwarf shrimp species, after they start breeding, put some in your larger tank or give them to your lfs so your tank doesn't get over run!

Ghost shrimp really aren't considered dwarf shrimp. Also, I wouldn't put CRS in a "tank" this small. They really like 10-20 gallons. I recommend a hearty species such as Red Cherry Shrimp.

Ghost shrimp really aren't considered dwarf shrimp. Also, I wouldn't put CRS in a "tank" this small. They really like 10-20 gallons. I recommend a hearty species such as Red Cherry Shrimp.

Thanks, bud. I have never kept CRS so I wouldn't know. I was just suggesting what I have read. Apparently all is not true....

Back
Top Bottom