Shrimp Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! I'm starting a 10g shrimp tank soon and I have a few questions with the cycling process. Ok, so just one question. How much ammonia should I put in there? I know for most fish tank cycling you put in 4ppm. But I've read that 1ppm of ammonia is plenty for a shrimp tank. Thanks!

Also, this is a fish less cycle. Oh, and I only plan on starting off with 10 or so shrimp and add some more later on if that effects anything.

Please disregard if you already know this.....

Live plants will also help cycle it faster. Shrimp need live plants.
Are you talking RCS ? Plan some Moss or Ferns or both. Mine love their Moss. They graze on the Aufwuchs and biofilm and it also keeps their water more stable. The plants won't mind the Ammonia.

Autumnsky said:
How do you get the Aufwuchs to produce, or get them?

It's micro life that grows on walls, rocks, surfaces. It just grows on its own. Like biofilm.

Aufwuchs are basically microscopic food that is found growing on rocks or other substrate. The importance of aufwuchs cannot be underestimated. Some of the most colorful fish in the world rely upon aufwuchs to survive, and Shrimp like it also ;)

Back
Top Bottom