Snail ID???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
What kind of snail is this? I have heard pond snail and nerite. He came as a hitch hiker with the plants I bought a couple weeks ago. It is just one now so no over population worries yet.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1416189252427.jpg
    1416189252427.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 80
It is a pond snail. Not a problem unless you overfeed or under-clean.

I am not cleaning algae right now. Letting it build up for when I get otos.

The main issue with the common pond species is that they tend to make so many more of themselves in fairly short order. Then they'll eat the algae you meant for the Otos.

That one is known as a bladder snail.. you can suddenly find dozens of tiny ones seemingly overnight.. because a batch or two of eggs has hatched.

They lay small blobs of firm jelly like material with the eggs inside, on anything at all. Glass, plants, rocks.. whatever. They are hard to see unless they're on the glass. Can be scraped off easily and burned if you find any.

I found a second pond snail today. Roughly the same size so I think that i just missed him when he was smaller

I have them and almost did instantaneously as the tank was set up. They were on my FIRST plant lol.

Still have yet to be a real nuisance. I think personally people seem to get overworked when they see them. To me they are like roaches at a restaurant. You know they're there and should accept a couple so long as you don't see to many of them when the lights are on.

You can mush them and feed them to your fishies if you want to be really sadistic.

If they become a problem I will remove them, but how much algae can 2 snails really eat? I am probably making alot more than they can eat.

If they become a problem I will remove them, but how much algae can 2 snails really eat? I am probably making alot more than they can eat.

there in may lay your issue tho. They reproduce faster if more food is available. Theyre easy to pull out tho.
Actually Ive removed a couple sacs from plants myself but also caught my platy eating the eggs off a leaf a couple times to. Maybe one of your fish will get a taste for them as well.

Im growing the algae so I will have food for the otos I want to get, i have read they don't accept commercial algae as well.

Two snails won't eat that much algae.. but if they hatch out a few dozen kids, then they'll make a big dent in the algae. Some Otos do learn to eat man made algae tabs, but a lot of them do not.. so having the real thing for them is a much better idea.

In my honest opinion, if you didn't invite them to the party, remove them before they invite their friends. I had a problem like this once, but with ramshorn snails. Only had two or three from a plant I thought was clean, and in a week or two, those two turned to 50. Then 200. Then what seemed like 4 million. Granted I was lacking on water changes and cleaning algae, plus a little over feeding here and there, but it was not fun. Started off cute, and escalated to madness.

If they do become a problem I can see if the lfs can get a couple assassin snails in. If they can't what would some snail eating fish be?

If they do become a problem I can see if the lfs can get a couple assassin snails in. If they can't what would some snail eating fish be?

I had a Skunk Botia Loach eat tons of Ramshorns, before attacking and murdering several other fish. Might be a good option for the pond snails, too. I think he was a bad egg, though. My LFS told me he was rotten, but I didn't listen. He cut back on the snail population by nearly 90% (it was at around 75-150 snails) in 6 days.

yoyo loach with eat snails. I was going to get that or a puffer but I dont want it to kill my decor snails. Same with assassin snails. Im afraid it will attack my nerites and mystery

I hear people talk about the lettuce trick but honestly when I leave veggies in my tank for my pleco I NEVER see pond snails on them.

Back
Top Bottom