Thoughts on unique designs of glass tanks for shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Hard time getting a title for this thread.

Talking about the actual glass tanks.

Over the years, I have very much enjoyed the Fluval Edge tanks and have had 6 Edge tanks. I still love their look.

But in the last couple years more interesting designs have come out too.

Like Dennerle (probably need to correct the spelling there). Has an angled front glass panel. And Fluval Flex curved front.

Anyone happen to see a eye catching style of tank? Share what you like about how it looks, and if you have unique one, the pros and cons.

There are rimless, topless, special tops like the Spec V.

Mr. Aqua had the 12G bookshelf tank. Saw a company with a similar if not the same footprint.

Yes, always a curiousity. I see them posted on CL periodically. They are pretty expensive to buy! You can't really ever see if there is any place for filtering /media and I am nervous about that. Fear of the unknown!

In the wrong hands a disaster waiting to happen :eek:

Have you considered one seriously? I bet you could make one.

I was seriously contemplating a coffee table tank. But as you pointed out....I didn't see how I could heat and filter it. I've never really looked into how these are possible.

I've also been very curious about these table aquariums, so I did some research. Apparently the filter is in the bottom corner. The pictures just don't show you the wires coming out of the table part. You feed the fish through some slots on the sides and a heater can also be added but doesn't come with it.
i don't know how you would clean/add fish to it. I imagine the top comes off.

If the coffee table style tank is placed next to furniture as in the pic above, then you could drill it (assuming the glass is drill-able), add bulkhead fittings, ball valves, and a canister filter with inline heater (optional). The filter would be hidden behind the furniture. If the tank is standalone, then that won’t work.
Since shrimp are small, you’d have to get down on the floor to take a close look at them.

I think you could make an interesting table tank with frag tank and something to hold glass above it some for air exchange. And as Fresh said next to a piece of furniture.

Or use an existing similar sized to the tank side (or coffee) table cut off most of the height of the legs and put the shallow sided frag tank on top (or make custom sized a base for one, use Rustoleum Neverwet on the wood to help avoid water damage, drill or have it come drilled. Then store a small canister filter under/inside the table.

Somebody make one. I know it would be my favorite table to stare at!

Dennerle

Not that there is anything particularly special LOOKING about this tank. It has been reviewed well.

I was looking for a different style, maybe it is not here in the USA anyway, thought I would include for kicks.

There is also a Scaper's tank and nano cubes from 2.5G to 30G

This is a 10G shrimp tank square by JBJ and has low iron glass

https://www.amazon.com/Dennerle-Shrimp-King-Tank-10g/dp/B01CRE6I8Y

From their website
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Shrimp’s Tank 10 US Gallon:
Panoramic aquarium with depth effect (lower and deeper than standard aquariums)
Cover panel with finger hole, including holders Heat insulating safety underlay
Aquarium with the special dimensions 45 x 31 x 36 cm (WxHxD) (17.71 in x 12.2 in x 14.17 in) for a special depth effects.
Panoramic glass (rounded front corners), glass thickness: 5 mm
Nano Power-LED 5.0
Compact slim-line design
12 high-quality power LEDs
With shimmering effect
Outstanding grow light for aquarium plants High-quality aluminum housing,stainless steel mounting rods
Adjustable horizontally (max. 3.94 in.) and vertically (max. 7.09 in)
Specs: 6.500 K, 500 Lumen, 21 V, 5.5 W
Nano Bio-Filter
Large surface area for filter bacteria
Safe for shrimps and crayfish
Water flow freely adjustable
Filter outlet rotatable through 90°
Easy to operate and clean

12-gallonbookshelf rimless bookshelf tank Mr. Aqua

Low iron interesting footprint, I have always loved seeing this tank scaped with shrimp (or a Betta). A couple members in the past have had gorgeous builds of these.

This is the one I specifically recalled and could dig up quickly...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/brians-12g-looong-rimless-journal-361957.html

Mr Aqua
Glass thickness: 6mm
Dimensions: 35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4"
Total Volume: 12 US Gallons

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/12-gallon-bookshelf-rimless-tank-low-iron-glass-mr-aqua.html

Lifeguard Aquatics 7G kit FW (&SW version - SW shrimp :) )

This was one style I have seen don't know of the manufacture

Looks like a great ANGLE for an excellent view... is it?

Good deal here from a sponsored site no back filter area glass tank space, free shipping at this very moment
https://www.aquacave.com/aquariums/...ums/lifegard-full-view-7-gallon-aquarium.html

Also with a filter compartment
https://www.aquacave.com/aquariums/...allon-aquarium-with-built-in-back-filter.html

Complete kit version
https://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegar...7m6cPZIC4cX-8Fyned29bCDZmlRLNcJxoCVG8QAvD_BwE

https://www.marinedepot.com/video/w...nano-reef-and-a-planted-tank-you-can-win-both

Last edited:
Ah to have the really fun, insane things. I don't have enough space. Even that but basically like a bar style long tank half or 1/3rd of that width.

Flex

Totally recommend the Fluval Flex. I got mine recently but it's a great all in one type set up I got the 9 Gal and it perfect for my shrimp!! Love the way the filter is setup in the back because even if any babies get pulled in they get stuck Ina. Carpartment where its challenging to get any farther in (I used to have a HOB filter On a Different tank and shrimp got through sponge prefilter and just got demolished so it's awesome to have this). Great LED lights on the top with so many setting more than I can use haha. Loved the curved front gives the tank a unique look I haven't seen before. Only issue I have with this is that the current is fairly strong and I personally don't like it because I see my RCS get flung across the tank cause of it... No way to adjust this that I've been able to find which is unfortunate but all tanks have there flaws! Strongly would suggest to grab this is tank if your looking for a different, unique, and all in one tank.

Put some pictures of mine below
In the second picture you can see the 2 intakes on top and bottom

Attachments

• 15474478693884891069552568134362.jpg
    15474478693884891069552568134362.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 15474479014346484557050649778185.jpg
    15474479014346484557050649778185.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 15474479189467931142452466580942.jpg
    15474479189467931142452466580942.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 104
  • 15474481909525621183246525303638.jpg
    15474481909525621183246525303638.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 92
Thanks for popping over to share your insight on the Flex. The user pros and cons help out.

It is intriguing. I like the bowed front.

Does it cause much distortion?

After you said that I spent a good 15 mins going from the side to front to see if there was any ? I can't see much distortion it's so minimal you wouldn't see it unless you were determined to find it.

LOL! Thank you for your hard work!

Good, I am interested in this maybe the 15G I think it is.

I like the open top, with the Edge 12G it is extremely hard to cull shrimp, move things around and any number of other things (normal tanks don't have that issue).

The nice vision broadening out the front opposite the regular bowfront style is smart.

I bought the Mr.Aqua 7.5 bowl front. I feel in love with the size and look. I have my RCS in it and so far its great.
456Yi56.jpg

I did buy the 15g Flex for a decent deal (110$) at a local shop and im excited to use it at some point. It'll probably be better solely because it is larger and easier to maintain but I'm trying this adorable 7.5 gal tank first. It is the perfect desktop tank to me.

Back
Top Bottom