Treating infections in shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Every time I see hornwort on a list of easy plants I wince a little. It is easy... but with a huge caveat ...)

Liberty
This sounds just like my experience with Hornwort. It grew wonderfully on the top of my 125 foronths, maybe even a yeat or more then it just started dieing. I blamed the Swords SAEs and Kribs constantly nibbling on it but.......
I really wish I could finda live *floating* plant that would last. The plastic ones are a PITA as they catch the net when I try to fish fry out and if I take the plants out first the fry quickly become snacks

Have you tried water lettuce? You may have to let them grow for a while to get the roots long enough for your purposes.

It likes to throw out baby plants constantly and cover the surface but I recently realized that if you just pinch off the baby plants once in a while the mother plants get bigger and bigger and the roots get much longer. I like the bigger plants and longer roots better so I just pinch off all the plantlets I can see while my water is changing via python.

Since I started doing that a couple weeks ago I have fairly dense 2-3 inch long roots at the surface which would probably be good for hiding fry.

Subwassertang is slow growing like most mosses but just about unkillable as far as I can tell. Even java moss can get brown if it doesn’t get some light but I had a massive clump of subwassertang under an ornament getting almost no light for at least a month and it’s completely fine. Green healthy and growing slowly and steadily.

Liberty
Unfortunately I have HOBs on all my tanks and Water Lettuce HATES them

I have a HOB as well. It does okay free floating but not as well as when I corral it with airline tubing.

Attachments

• B726CF3C-DFDF-4F37-BE94-56DBDB2BE8C3.jpg
    B726CF3C-DFDF-4F37-BE94-56DBDB2BE8C3.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 32
I've tried airline tubing and could never get it to work properly. A *fishy* friend who has her own aquatic business(Aqua Accents ia her FB page) suggested strips from those interlocking foam mats you use on kids floors FB_IMG_1586184328552.jpeg

Subwassertang will die if using Excell in my experience. One of my favorites!

Try Red Root Floaters.

Recently I read that Hornwort likes Calcium - something my water usually lacks, as in 0 KH but I have been supplementing it so maybe why it hasn't all died yet.

Water sprite or Water Wisteria (mostly only kept WW for a lengthy time as a floating plant, grows mad! Good roots, and big enough to through out when you get too much!

Huh. Airline always worked for me. It’s nearly invisible unless you look right at it from underneath.

The replacement (plus some other stuff) order from aquaticarts came. I got some amanos for my glolight tank. Fortunately they came in big enough to not be snapped up by the fish. A couple didn’t survive shipping but amazingly the remaining all look great. They ship with a bit of purigen in the bag which probably saved the bag from being killed off by the toxins. Great idea. They disappeared almost instantly into the plants. They’re just a bit too small to go about openly without being pestered a bit but big enough that the glofish think they’re too much trouble. I’m sure soon enough they’ll be brazenly stealing food from the fish like my other amanos.

The dwarf shrimp went into the six. The zebras are just stunning. The fire reds look a little mixed grade but shipping stress may have effected them a bit to be fair, they are brand new! Most of them are very bright as well though there are two females that I may have to move to another tank eventually to keep this group bright. They just look like your standard grade cherry shrimp. But I got quite a few more than I ordered so no complaints about a couple lower grade shrimp sneaking in. For now I’ll just be happy if they all stay healthy. I’m still steadily losing shrimp from the ten and at this point I don’t really know what else to do for them. I’m being very careful to avoid cross contaminating into the six because I can’t seem to beat whatever is in the ten. I’m moving the assassin snail in there next time I see him because i honestly think a predator taking out the weak shrimp might be a good thing for the health of that population, and he’ll be better fed than in my snail-less 29.

The new shrimp have been in the tank ~24 hours now and no losses except a couple DOA cherries. Bag water had no ammonia though. Purigen in the shipping water really is a fantastic idea.

(Zoom in on that middle zebra’s orange eyes!!)

Attachments

• B456C725-5D0F-4676-A0B8-06E512A68577.jpg
    B456C725-5D0F-4676-A0B8-06E512A68577.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 28
I had the exact same thing happen with water wisteria as hornwort. Grew like absolutely crazy for like a year then gradually died off and I can’t keep it alive for anything now.

I stopped using excel regularly since I read val doesn’t like it but I was using it for a while and my subwassertang didn’t mind. (My vals seemed fine too but I figured better safe ...). Some plants are sensitive such that they can tolerate it but any overdose will take them out. Perhaps vals/ subwas. fall in that category

Neat orange eyes and a Zebras! Super cool combination! A couple of my Tangerine Tigers had orange eyes. <3 that shrimp, any other Zebras with orange eyes?

They seem split about 60/40 between black and orange eyes. There’s at least a few in there with them but didn’t count exactly.

I wonder if I should try hydrogen peroxide on the 10... that’s the one thing I’ve considered but haven’t tried. There are pygmy cories in there too so I’d have to do some research on if it would be too hard on them. I could theoretically move them temporarily to a hang on back filtered breeder box on my 29 but they are so extremely hard to catch!

Back
Top Bottom