Vampire shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I might have the chance to acquire a vampire shrimp from a friend

I cannot find much information on them. I would add it to my well established community tank. Currently there are platys, 2 African dwarf frogs and a few ghost shrimp

Thanks

It's an 18 gallon tank. I agree there is information out there but is it conflicting and I'm trying to get some feedback from people here.

first thing is the vampire/African filter shrimp are as the name implies filter feeders so higher flow is definitely a must also they are said to get up to 6 inches in length, so a large enough tank is also needed I've been keeping one in my 150 planted community and in @ s year he/she has grown from @ 1 inch to @ 2"-2.5" the plus side is they are very peaceful almost skittish characters, mine spends most of his/her time sharing a cave with my pleco and a loach, if your able to get this guy consider yourself lucky I don't see these in any of the area fish stores very often

So that just answered my question 18 gallon community tank is going to be way too small for it. Too bad I hope my friend finds it a good home.

I was looking for something to complete the tank and it was offered to me for free. The person is changing over from fresh water to salt water.

I got it last night and well I guess I didn't acclimatize it well and it was dead this morning

silly question but did you find a dead body or an empty shell often when moved to another tank with different water parameters crustacians will often molt almost immediately and go into hiding until their shell hardens back up, so if you found what appeared to be an empty hollowed out shell you may want to poke around the tank a bit just to be sure

I actually found it dead with my oto cats attached and my ghost shrimp eating it. I was just happy my daughter was still asleep when I noticed. I tested my water also and the ammonia was at .5 or so so had to do a water change

I'm actually worried it had some sickness when I put it in. In hindsight I took him from a friend (I use that term loosely) the tank was dirty as you can imagine and the stench when I netted it out of its original tank was unbearable. Is there any precaution I should take to make sure the rest of the aquarium will stay healthy

...the stench when I netted it out of its original tank was unbearable.

The same friend that is switching to saltwater? Oy vey. They are going to make some saltwater dealer very happy with purchases.

I'm actually worried it had some sickness when I put it in. In hindsight I took him from a friend (I use that term loosely) the tank was dirty as you can imagine and the stench when I netted it out of its original tank was unbearable. Is there any precaution I should take to make sure the rest of the aquarium will stay healthy

PWC's ... Clean water's your best bet. Sounds like the shock of going into your tank did it in .... Even though your tank is CLEANER than it's previous ... How ironic.

Sorry to hear about this ... I'm also thinking of getting one in a week or two. I have two bamboo and they are fearless ... Can't be bothered to hide in a tank of barbs.

Yup my thought exactly I know that he is not the sharpest tool in the shed and has way too much money for his own good. I know he has signed up for a maintenance contract and the professionals will come and set it up. So hopefully he fish will live

jcolon said:
PWC's ... Clean water's your best bet. Sounds like the shock of going into your tank did it in .... Even though your tank is CLEANER than it's previous ... How ironic.

Sorry to hear about this ... I'm also thinking of getting one in a week or two. I have two bamboo and they are fearless ... Can't be bothered to hide in a tank of barbs.

I am going to do 50% a day pwc for at least a week or so. They are amazing looking and if you can find one I say go for it!!!

Everyone told me my ghost shrimp and frogs would hide all the time, that's the furthest thing from the truth they are always out swimming around the tank

I am going to do 50% a day pwc for at least a week or so. They are amazing looking and if you can find one I say go for it!!!

Everyone told me my ghost shrimp and frogs would hide all the time, that's the furthest thing from the truth they are always out swimming around the tank

The LFS I get my Amano Shrimp had .. Earlier in the summer ... Vampires .. Aka African filter shrimp as they call it .. Hopefully they'll get some more soon.

I have a 20 Long in storage that I'm thinking's going to be mostly a shrimp tank. Amano's, red cherry, yellow, ghost, bamboo and / or vampire shrimp.... With some cardinal tetras, rummynose and H. rasboras.

That sounds like a nice tank idea. I would love to do something like that My only advice is I've been told not all those shrimp are compatible. I know from experience the ghost shrimp will attack and try to kill most other types of similar size. Which is the reason I was so happy the vampire/African filter would work.

Back
Top Bottom