Worms in my shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishSim

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed I have Worms in my shrimp tank. They are free swimming bugger's about 1 cm long white in color. How can I get rid of them? Id take a pic if I could get a good pic.

I have a 4 gallon tank with cherry shrimp.

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you have fish in another tank and you have no babies in your shrimp tank then I would give the fish an all inclusive worm fest holiday in your shrimp tank until the problem is 'eaten'.

I put a platy fry into the tank and let him dine on the worms for a bit until I saw him eat a baby shrimp. Surprised he could eat them.

They are called glass worms. They usually appear when your tank is really dirty. The best way to get rid of these parasites is to clean your tank than add your normal water conditioner. Supplement the water conditioner with aquarium salt and your tank should be worm free within a week. The salt kills off the worms but I'm not sure if it will affect the shrimp or not. It's fine with fish but shrimp don't have scales so I'm not sure.

Dirty? I do a water change every 2 weeks. And usually about 50% since its only 4 gallons.

True, things can go sour fast in a smalker tank, but if I can't put the fish with the shrimp in the shrimp tank I've decided to put the worms into my fish tank. I've decided I'll use these as live food. I'll net them out with my shrimp net and set them free into my platy tank!

True, things can go sour fast in a smalker tank, but if I can't put the fish with the shrimp in the shrimp tank I've decided to put the worms into my fish tank. I've decided I'll use these as live food. I'll net them out with my shrimp net and set them free into my platy tank!

No! You can't move them or else they will spread to the tank you put them in. I did the exact same thing when I was a beginner in the aquarium hobby. I thought my pee puffers would eat them and when I moved them over they spread like wild fire. I don't know the whole process about how these pest repopulate but they sure do it fast.i would do a 25% water change on your tank once every week and possibly add some pee puffers or assassin snails to take care of the worm problem.

Seriously? I put a couple in and they were eaten by my platies. Assassins eat these? Are my shrimp safe with assassins?

Back
Top Bottom