Pond Advice for William

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Pond newbie, 90Gal preform pond.

Well, My grandmother got a 90gal pond for her birthday, And as usual I will most likely be the one elected to install and maintain it..

So I was wondering, What would some good stocking ideas for the pond be? What kind of plants?

and florida gets quite cold in the winter, so I was thinking about putting two 300watt heaters in the bottom of the pond, so whats the right temp for ponds, as well?

Thanks

Your post did not really fit the thread, so I started a new one for you.

You say it gets cold, but I assume that no part of florida freezes. Most koi and goldfish should be able to handle even the coldest of florida weather without a problem. Any other info for us?

and florida gets quite cold in the winter,

Now that's funny! What you consider cold, well I'd take that any old time. It's currently 14 degrees here! I'm just in MD, all the folks further north have it wayyy colder.

As with all ponds, you need to decide on plants according to the location of the pond, how many hours of direct sun per day. Take water lillies for example: some need 8 hours or more to thrive and flower, others will flower with as little as 4 hours. 90 gallons, if you want a lilly, it must be one of the small varieties, or it will cover too much water surface with leaves. Sorry I don't have a site for you, but you wanna Google up some pond plant sites, and check what would be good in your Zone. Dept. of Agriculture puts out a map of planting zones that all gardeners/plant suppliers go by for hardiness and such.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-se1.html

You want some sumberged plants, for oxygenation and water quality, some floaters, for shading the water (temp regulation and hiding spots for fish), edge/bog plants with exposed vegitation (for looks and flowers). You need to study what's good in your area, what you like, and what will fit in a 90, which is a pretty tiny pond.

Fish, no idea. If you heat the pond, you may be able to keep tropical/subtropical fish. I guess goldfish would be fine, but no Koi. Koi get waayy too big for a 90, and they are notorious plant diggers/destroyers.

HTH as a start.

RogerMcAllen said:
Your post did not really fit the thread, so I started a new one for you.

You say it gets cold, but I assume that no part of florida freezes. Most koi and goldfish should be able to handle even the coldest of florida weather without a problem. Any other info for us?

I thought I had clicked new topic?

OMG I'm sorry!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

oh, and about temp... The last cold snap we had hit around 30.

What I ment about quite cold is, that it cdoes and can get freezing here. Its not the tropical 80f all hear that some people thing :)

Thanks for the imput, I think I may do some kind of south american bio-pond.

I lub oscars, altho this is probably to small for just one. :?

90 gallon pond? You can put two adult oscars easily, maybe three. need lots of filtration though.

Oscars = plant destroyers.

Summer = high temps = less oxygen

Not the best idea, IMO, unless you have super aeration to keep water well oxygenated, and your plant options will be severely limited.

also, heaters in those plastic preformed ponds? do good research, I'm not sure what type would be suitable. regular AQ heaters may melt the plastic, though thats just a guess.

I have the feeling this is going to be the loss of a good deal of hair for me. [ From ripping it out :p ]

altho if one looks in my gallery for my pic, Idon't have much hair to loose ;-)

Humm...

and she wants to put it right next to the house, where the roof run off will land right in it when it rains.

Not a very good idea I would think.

Aaeration, How about some bubble wands? X'D

and she wants to put it right next to the house, where the roof run off will land right in it when it rains.

Not a very good idea I would think.

Aaeration, How about some bubble wands? X'D

Roof water = contaminants from shingles or other roofing material, not a good idea. Mentioned in several pond books as a no no.

They do make outdoor air pumps, but I think they are costly (even though I think you were just jokin'... )

If you just go with fish that won't tear up plants, and put in a good deal of submerged plants, they will oxygenate the water just fine. Anacharis is a particularly good oxegenator.

A lot of people get a small pump and a "spitter". you know, a frog spitting water, or the classic statue of a little boy peeing in the water! Not my style but they make 'em. Any spitter will work well for aeration.

Atleast I don't have to worry about it till spring, :-\

Thanks.

and I knew about the contaminates.

Would oscars be good to just leave outside like that? With all the conditions of rain, and such.

and did I mention the fact that relitives have children that come over and feel they don't have to listen to anyone and do whatever the dern well please?

I can just imagine the headaches they'll cause with the pond, atleast with my fishtanks I have the hoods and everything..

They'll be in the pond trying to catch the fish, I'm sure.

Ugh. :|

Back
Top Bottom