Sick weather/dojo loaches?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C.han.666

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey

So I've got 2 weather loaches- first time having the pleasure of owning them.
They're probably coming up to a year old this summer but for some reason, they're both sick.
SLASH- the big loach is eating, swimming and generally acting fine, however he seems to have a lump on his mouth? It's almost like a disk on the bottom of his mouth.

AXL- the small loach, is almost bent in half and can't swim very well. When he swims, because he's bent, he goes round in circles and struggles to stay up right. At one point, he straightened himself out (how I do not know), but now he's bent again :(

They've both been like this for a while now and it's really bugging me what it could be.
I moved them both into a quarantine tank last night but now I don't know what to do.

The water parameters are perfect.
The tank they were originally in (3ft tank) had:
2 large fancy goldfish
2 small goldfish
2 snails
1 black Moore
And a bottom feeding fishy

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
P.H: 7

They tank they're in now only had them 2 in it and it's about 60 litre. Again, water parameters perfect

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
P.H: 7

I'm planning in leaving them both in the hospital tank for now to monitor them a bit better but if anyone has any ideas in what it could be then it's much appreciated???

Pictures attached!

Attachments

• 20180403_150431.jpg
    20180403_150431.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 20180403_174758.jpg
    20180403_174758.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20180403_174749.jpg
    20180403_174749.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 70
The fleshy growth on the larger loach looks to be Lymphocystis, "Virus" No cure, not usually fatal. The smaller bent loach looks to be suffering from a very severe intestinal bacterial infection or fish TB. Likely no cure.

The fleshy growth on the larger loach looks to be Lymphocystis, "Virus" No cure, not usually fatal. The smaller bent loach looks to be suffering from a very severe intestinal bacterial infection or fish TB. Likely no cure.

Thank you for your quick response. If it was tb, is there anything I should do to make his life easier?
Also, would he have straightened himself back out if it was?

So sad :(

Thank you again

The bent loach looks to be terminal. Probably in a lot of pain. IMO, best to euthanize. Sooner or later we all have to make these tough choices. Good luck.

The bent loach looks to be terminal. Probably in a lot of pain. IMO, best to euthanize. Sooner or later we all have to make these tough choices. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick response.

I think I'm going to leave him in the hospital tank for a few weeks and see if he straightenes out again like he did before.
I've asked in a few pet shops and they all seem to think he's swam into something and bent his neck but I'm not sure what to think. He's active enough and seems to have picked up a little since he's been in there so I'm torn on what to do

Thanks

C

Back
Top Bottom