African Dwarf Frogs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Polkadots

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was at the lfs yesterday and saw some African Dwarf Frogs. They're adorable! I want them for my tank, but I don't know much about them. I have LOTS of questions about them.

Can they live in a tropical community tank? Are they compatible with a betta, tetras, cory cats, and rasboras?
How many of them should I get?
They eat aquatic frog pellets, right? What brand do you recommend?
I have sand substrate- are they fine with this?
I heard you have to put their food on a plate or something like that. Can you explain?
My tank is 18 inches tall. Is this okay?

And anything else you think I should know. :)

:thanks:

Okay!

Yes the frogs should be fine with any type of the fish you listed. They will mainly keep to themselves. However, they are very greedy eaters. I would stay away from the pellets because its hard for the frogs to get too. I mainly feed mine the frozen blood worms. I feed them manually! The frogs should be fine in the tank you have! However keep in mind they can be pretty difficult to maintain!

My tank ??
2 Rubber Lip Pleco
4 African Dwarf Frogs
1 Betta Fish
2 Albino Cory Catfish
1 Zebra Snail

When you say you feed them manually, can please you elaborate? (this might be a stupid question...)

Can they live in a tropical community tank? Are they compatible with a betta, tetras, cory cats, and rasboras?
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Just be sure the other fish don't out compete them for food or pick at them. At one LFS i saw a bunch of frogs with no eyes because they were house with angels. :(

How many of them should I get?
My brother and I each have two. In the future i'd like to get more.

They eat aquatic frog pellets, right? What brand do you recommend?
This is what I feed mine as a staple. I also feed frozen/thawed blood worms.

i have sand substrate- are they fine with this?
Should be, i'm not sure if they would eat it on accident.

I heard you have to put their food on a plate or something like that. Can you explain?
Yes, picture of mine below. It is some sort of mini cat dish that I found. You can also use a tuperware lid weighed down with rocks.

My tank is 18 inches tall. Is this okay?
If they are babies, make sure they can easily reach the surface.

And anything else you think I should know. :)
Make sure their front feet are webbed and their eyes don't bulge out. That is another, much larger species called clawed frogs.

Thank you! I think I'll get them, maybe next weekend. Anyone want to add anything else?

Okay, I'm most likely going to get two or three over the weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I realized there's practically the same thread if you just scroll down

I have 6. They eat both frozen blood worms and frog pellets. Stay away from freeze dried foods. Sand a perfect for them as they nose dive after going up for air. Make sure water depth isn't too deep. Def get a small white dish for their feed. They have poor eye sight and will be able to see their food better on white. Hand feed using long tweezer, dropper, or baster as their food sinks. Lure them to their dish before putting all food in or other fish will eat it first. They'll get into the habit of going there at feeding time. Pellets are fine if in the plate. Eating a little sand won't hurt them in any way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh, make sure they have places to hide, cave, rocks stacked they go under, plants, whatever. They will stay hidden during the day and be active in the evening, best time for feeding. They'll stay hidden and be really shy for a little while until they are comfortable and feel safe with their tankmates. Mine love to hang out in a floating plant or against their floating dock. Its just being lazy keeping nose at surface for air. They can and will jump out if given the opportunity but can only survive for short time out of water. They are so much fun. If you have any questions, pm. My tank is dedicated to my adfs and shrimp.

Thank you! Very useful information

YW. Before you name them, study them a bit. They may look the same, but you will see little differences to tell them apart. I can tell each 6 of mine who they are.

Mine eat All Living Things frog, newt, & tadpole bits. They'll repeatedly put them in their mouths and spit them back out, getting a little off the pellet each time. Whatever brand you get, make sure they are sinking pellets and not floating.

You also need a heater and filter (which you probably already have)

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thank you for all of the helpful replies! I'll be setting up the QT tank and bring them soon- I've been busy lately

How can I tell, at the Lfs, which are healthy?

Back
Top Bottom