Red eared sliders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fed my turtle some live plants last night and he through them up this morning. The plants were healthy because they were from my clean aquarium. I don't know if he ate to much or maybe he did not like them I'm not sure.

I fed my turtle some live plants last night and he through them up this morning. The plants were healthy because they were from my clean aquarium. I don't know if he ate to much or maybe he did not like them I'm not sure.

Did you actually see him vomit them up?

Did you actually see him vomit them up?

Yes at first I thought he was yawning because he was holding his mouth open for a couple seconds but then he through up tiny pieces of the plant. He is ok now, he is just basking on his dock but I got worried because he's never done that before. If you want I can take a photo of the kind of plant he ate but I'm not sure if that would help.

If you know the name of the plant, that's easier. If you don't, then take a photo and I can try to identify it. There are a lot of plants that are toxic to turtles.

That should be perfectly fine, my turts have had that in their tank and eaten it before. He may just eaten too much, I wouldn't worry about it for now unless you see it happen again.

That should be perfectly fine, my turts have had that in their tank and eaten it before. He may just eaten too much, I wouldn't worry about it for now unless you see it happen again.

Well that's good to know. I never asked you if you had any fish in your aquarium with your turtle. My turtle lives with a large albino bushy nose pleco, and a Raphael spotted catfish.

Once upon a time, I had about 15 Leopard Danios in with my turtles.

One day, I only had 8.
The next day, I had none.

So yeah, not doing that again... haha

Once upon a time, I had about 15 Leopard Danios in with my turtles.

One day, I only had 8.
The next day, I had none.

So yeah, not doing that again... haha

That's funny, there only good with catfish. I once had a blue gourami in with my turtle and one morning I found my turtle with a tale sticking out if his mouth. That day when I was cleaning his tank I found the gourami's head buried under some rocks. That's probably when my turtle got the pyramiding because that gourami was larger than him!

Pyramiding is a long-term process, a good solid couple of months of over feeding is required to even start showing it. It's still mad what they'll go for, anything that wiggles looks like dinner.

Is it ok if I put my turtle in a 55 gallon when gets larger or do Think I will need larger. I know females need a huge tank but males stay relatively smaller than females.

Pyramiding is a long-term process, a good solid couple of months of over feeding is required to even start showing it. It's still mad what they'll go for, anything that wiggles looks like dinner.

My turtle does not like eating the live plants I am feeding him but I noticed he eats the algae wafers that I feed the plecos. Would it be ok if I feed him an algae wafer once in a wile or is that unhealthy for him.

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply, I've been really busy.
Is it ok if I put my turtle in a 55 gallon when gets larger or do Think I will need larger. I know females need a huge tank but males stay relatively smaller than females.
It depends on his size really. He probably could survive in a 55 gallon provided that it's filled to the brim and he has an above tank basking area. Some people will say it's not recommended etc, but so long as he doesn't grow HUGE then you'll be ok.
My turtle does not like eating the live plants I am feeding him but I noticed he eats the algae wafers that I feed the plecos. Would it be ok if I feed him an algae wafer once in a wile or is that unhealthy for him.
Algae wafers are fine, they're great for Vitamin E too.

Thanks you have been a big help. Btw my turtle loves the straw berries

Back
Top Bottom