Yes I am that idiot!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so my kids went to fair and came home with 2 goldfish and a very small and yes illegal sized red ear slider! The goldfish were easy I set them up in my 36g quarantine tank. The RES is definitely more worrying. he spent the first day in the stupid little 1 gallon critter cage. That I kept warm with a heating pad under it on low, while getting some things cleaned up/purchased and and ready for his temporary home.
Keep in mind I have been keeping fish for years and I have only fish stuff in my house. So after doing some reading I set him up as best I could until I can either order stuff in or get to the nearest pet store that is over an hour away and with 5 young and very busy kids that is usually only once a month.
So my very basic set up right now and I know I don't have everything yet but the little guy is in a 25g plastic bin (I read that something with solid color sides was less stressful than glass) filled to about 10in deep a hang on back filter rated to 40 gallons, with cycled filter material, a heater that I don't remember the wattage on, but is rated for a 55g. It's what I have in the house. I tossed in a crap tun of water wisteria Which he seems to love floating on. I built up a few bricks and smooth rocks and so he can get out of the water.
So I guess my question is will he be okay until I can get him the rest of what he needs later this week. What kind of food would be best to order. And the lighting I am so confused on. I know he needs the UV lighting but I keep seeing people talk about percentages of UVB so how do I know whats the right one for a tiny turtle? Remember I know basically nothing about turtles past when cared for properly they can live a long, long time and that I have just taken on a major responsiblity! Any help you can give would be great! I really wanna do this right.

Keeping the water filtered and fresh is the major hurdle. Being you have a tiny illegal RES, it is small and less waste. You are brave and I won't quite say the word from your title, but are in for arduous task. As they turn to adult size, they really do need a huge space and heavy duty filtration. These creatures are time consuming to care for long term.

Can you order anything online to be delivered to your home to make the "shopping" easier? The tub will not be a big problem it is a container after all.

Any time I see fish (turtles?????) given out as pets as prizes, I strongly encourage the person to contact the charity, fair, etc. and implore them to not use animals in this way - really, if possible contact them.

UVB light bulb.

Good luck and maybe seriously consider what life will be like for you to end up taking care of this guy as an adult for a LONG time!

I had a slider a long time ago, but it sounds like you have the basics covered, although I never used a heater. My light source was one of those metal clip on lights from a hardware store with a daylight reptile bulb.
I fed him turtle pellets and the occasional feeder fish. I think you can also feed veggies, but I didn’t.
My tank was all water with a floating platform.

Back
Top Bottom