100 gallon tank newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshuabeebe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you for accepting me into your community. I recently bought a 100 gallon tank with vintage equipment. Need help setting up.

Tank
Fulvan 304 filter
Whisper 1000 air thing
Power plus 600 outboard power filter?

Plus a million little cords... Now what is obsolete & what can I reuse?

As far as the LR I would get dry base rock and cure it your self. You can cycle the tank and cure the rock at the same time. LR is pretty expensive. When I got mine it was 200 lbs at 8.99 a pound. My checkbook is still stinging from that one. Octopus makes some good skimmers but they are pricey. There are plenty to choose from. As far as circulation I have two mag pumps My tank has been running for about 17 yrs now.

Lr as in lava rock? For skimmer, you mean a live one for which reason? Skimmer is just protein skimmer? Can I get something electrical to do the same thing as an octopus? Sorry I am extreme newbie

Lr as in lava rock? For skimmer, you mean a live one for which reason? Skimmer is just protein skimmer? Can I get something electrical to do the same thing as an octopus? Sorry I am extreme newbie

No worries we've all been there a skimmer skims top of the water and collects all (well not all) the bad stuff like fish poop and waste

I wouldn't use any of that stuff you listed but I've heard people been successfully with the canister filter I guess it has its pro and con to it. I was thinking going that route but with my schedule it'll be hard to maintain the canister. For me I'm setting up my 125g right and I think I'm going with a sumpless tank look it up its simple but you have to keep your eye on it. As for skimmers LR and pumps check your lfs everyone has there own preference on brand and what not

Back
Top Bottom