Newbie requests advice for 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geneticmaize

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! New user here, with a new aquarium. I've wanted an aquarium for as long as I can remember, and finally am getting one thanks to my six year old daughter who decided she wants fish!

I am posting in hopes of some confirmation (or refutation) of what I'm doing. Thanks in advance!

I started with a 10 gallon, but will transfer to a 20 and return the 10. I'm using the filter that came with the tank, but I want to switch to sponge filters (see below). I set up the tank and filter, added water conditioner, water balancer, and starter bacteria per instructions, waited a day, then added critters yesterday. The water is cloudy today - I hope that is the initial bacterial bloom.

I started with 2 glo danios, a gold mystery snail, and 3 moss balls. I need more danios so they can school, but want to finish set up first. I'd rather avoid a heater so we are going with critters that are ok at 72 (current water temp without heater). Other than moss balls, we are sticking with fake plants for now.

My issue is filtration. The hang on back filter is resonating, which is not acceptable (we have a noise sensitive person in the house). I looked at canister filters like Penn Plax Cascade but they seem to be fussy.

I think I want sponge filters because (at least according to Bay Area Aquatics) they are quieter, easier to maintain, and more effective. But this is where I have questions.

1) For a 20 gallon tank, can I use 2 smaller sponge filters with airstones inside, one on each side of the tank, or would 1 larger sponge filter with airstone be better?

2) Can I use 2 USB Nano style air pumps or is something like a Tetra Whisper better?

3) If Tetra Whisper is better, can I run 2 sponge filter/airstones on a single pump, or do I need 2 pumps?

This is what I bought so far, but I can return and get something else:

Small Powkoo Sponge Filter Aquarium Filter would like to do 2 of these, one on each side of the 20 gallon tank

Pawfly 1 Inch Air Stone 10 Pieces Cylinder Bubble Diffuser Airstones which will hopefully fit inside the sponge filter

Tetra Whisper 10 gal would like to replace with 2 USB Nano style pumps

Back
Top Bottom