55 gallon reef project.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Bought this tank and stand real cheap. It is used and needs some repairs on the stand and some work to replace the top rim or repair it gotta do some research to see what I will do.
It has both hoods but missing a light. Not too concerned about the missing light because I intend to get LEDs for it any way.
It came with an old Regent Aquatec 200 HOB canister filter. It runs with no leaks so I thought even if I cant find the filters for it I can use it for extra circulation. Along with adding a power head or 2. I have a sump that was purchased with another tank I intend to set up on this one.
Well I am off to do the needed repairs on the stand plus I am gonna sand it and stain it. It is in kinda rough shape but it will be a nice project.

ForumRunner_20130328_104932.jpg

Well I got the stand repaired and stained today. Will let it dry over night sand it again with some 100 grit sand paper and get a matt clear coat on it. Then the stand will be done and will get on to the tank rim repairs and decide if I want to paint the back of the tank or buy a back ground for it.

ForumRunner_20130328_160935.jpg

Any one have any ideas for how to repair the top rim and cross brace on a 55. I have thought about useing fiberglass and epoxy then sand it down smooth and paint it.
Still not sure if I sm gonna paint the back of the tank or put a back ground on it.

As far as bground..id paint it.. I just finished my moms 20 gal we r doing today.. Paint doesnt show the precipatate from the salt getting beyween the tank and the b ground... Just make sure u paint couple coats allowing drying time between each coat and enough time before install....

As far as bground..id paint it.. I just finished my moms 20 gal we r doing today.. Paint doesnt show the precipatate from the salt getting beyween the tank and the b ground... Just make sure u paint couple coats allowing drying time between each coat and enough time before install....

Thats probly what I am going to do. Any sugestions for what paint to use? I got epoxy and fiberglass to fix the top rim and I am gonna have to paint it after repairs figured I would go ahead and paint the back while painting the rim.

Water test to look for leaks under way. So far no immediat leaks. Gonna leave it set for a lil bit and check it for leaks. If all seems good I am gonna be stepping up what is in my 30 gallon to this referbished 55

ForumRunner_20130402_172146.jpg

Looks good!

One suggestion, Since you said you're gonna run a sump you should seriously consider drilling the tank. I've been doing some research on it and it looks to be pretty easy.

Well leak test failed along with the center brace gave way. New plan in the works.
I am going to continue with repairs on this tank and I will get it right. But I have decided to temporarely rehome my african chiclids to a 30 gallon and get my reef started in my 60 gallon.
After the 55 is fully repaired then the chiclids will be moved to it.

If you do decide to drill the tank the LFS "ultimate aquariums" near you (saw you were from botetourt) will do it for you (I think). Just letting you know!

If you do decide to drill the tank the LFS "ultimate aquariums" near you (saw you were from botetourt) will do it for you (I think). Just letting you know!

Thanks! I will have to ask Justin and see. I never thought about asking him if he would drill it for me.
Thats where I get most all of my saltwater supplies. He is like 2 minutes away and alot more knowlegable than any one I have spoken with localy about fish keeping.
He is also the only lfs that uses liquid tests instead of those dreaded dip papers.

I realllllly want to start getting into saltwater, is he willing to help someone who knows nothing about it haha?

I realllllly want to start getting into saltwater, is he willing to help someone who knows nothing about it haha?

Yes! Most definitly. He is very much willing to answer questions and show you things. He is the reason I know what I know now. I am still very new to salt but I am learning and I ask him lots of questions.

Well looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend haha. I've been looking for an actual LFS instead of the big chain stores we have around here

Back
Top Bottom