75G Re-Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobertB

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Looking for advice on re-building a 75G sw tank. I had it set up, running well, etc, but ran into time-management issues when my wife had major surgery and couldn't maintain it. Now that she's recovered, I want to fix the tank. Today, it's covered in algae and everything is dead. The return pump went out during a hurricane, and I need to replace the powerheads. The return pump and powerheads have been ordered, my big question is how do I go about fixing it?

My thought is drain most of the water, scrape the algae from the tank walls, pull out the LR and scrub it, stir up and vacuum the sand bed, and basically start over. Any other ideas? Should I get rid of the sand?

Last question (for now): I'm thinking about re-building the sump. I made it myself from a 20G tank, but didn't make the chamber for the return pump big enough. As a result the water level is hard to maintain. If I re-build it (I'll make the refugium smaller), what kind of caulk should I use? (I may end up re-building it anyway because I'm not sure I used the right kind of caulk to start with.)

I know, lots of questions, but any help is appreciated. Thanks.:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom