a trick i learned...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiredfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
i needed to remove my anemone from a certain area for service on my protein skimmer...i found that you can use a thin gauge guitar pick and slide it underneath him and it didnt do any damage...just do it a little at a time..not all in one swoop...ease it underneath him then then back up a bit then do it again...i thought it worked well sence he didnt die...lol.....i used it on my condy...i am asumming most anemones have that foot thing...give me some feed back if this will be usefull or if its a dumb post... :D

tiredfish said:
give me some feed back if this will be usefull or if its a dumb post... :D
Not a dumb post but it is a very dangerous recommendation. It's great that everything worked but more commonly it doesn't. Keep in mind you where working with a smooth surface so it increased your success some. If the foot had been nicked and the water quality less than excellent, the anemone might not have faired so well. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

i kinda figured that...but i tried to pull him off...in doing so it looked like i was not doing so well..but i was very carefull in doing this....hopefully i wont have to do it again...is there any safer way....i tried to simply pull him off..but he wasnt being very easy to do so...i thought i might have pulled him apart....i made a post awhile back and someone said to just mearly pull him off the glass...which in my case i just freaked out and decided to use a thing gauge guitar pick...but if there is a better way to get ahold of him...please let me know...i dont really want to do it again...i also dont recomend doing it..id just thought i would share this with others...thanx for the reply

tiredfish said:
...is there any safer way....
Unless the animal is in danger, do nothing. I know it can be irritating but it's one of the challenges you have to accept if caring for one of these.

In your case, being on a powerhead (?) was a potential for disaster. I would instead suggest aiming a powerhead at it's foot in the direction you want it to move. Nothing too strong, just enough to irritate the anemone some. Making the spot it settles on less than desirable is the best means in getting them to move. Also be sure any intake equip near it is turned off.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom