the ick with ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shacker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
It has been weeks of dealing with ick I have done everything I should.

I had bought 2 german blue rams and 2 golden rams for my 55 new aquarium with 4 angelfish (lost 2 angelfish right away brought them back got my money)
anyways the rams from a different store came with ich which i did not notice.

I got good advice from here started following it. right away I lost the nicest blue ram then the female and then the female gold ram. Well, the male gold ram has been holding on and just when I think the ich is gone the gold ram gets a spot on him.

so up went the heat and this time medicine. the spot finally came off Now my angelfish haven't got it at all. My new female gold ram gold one spot which went a way right away. The male (Mr. Jones) has three spots on him I have 5 days left at 86 degrees. water changes daily. I am thinking I have a difficult ich I am dealing with. It is so frustrating now my 10 gallon got it bad. I know how and I am being careful not to do it to my 20 or 30 gallons.

please any suggestions and HELP I will add more aquarium salt just worried about catfish and plants.

thank you for reading

shacker66

IMG_0842.jpg
Mr. Jones there’s the big white spot at the end of dorsal fun then in the middle a couple light color ones

Beauty! Jack the temp up to 87-88. They can all take it. Angel's and rams are not a good combo. Both equally disposed, size being the issue.

Also be careful not using the same equipment, like vac's and nets and water changing containers between tanks, or moving decor or plants, air bubbler either.

There have been some articles on how the newer forms of Ich coming about and is not killed by heat (I think it said the heat).

Make sure to keep up extra aeration.

Medication and heat can sometimes cause issues when used at the same time.

Keep the heat on until the last spot is seen - plus for 7 days. Then start reducing it a degree a day for a few days and then a bit more quickly once you can tel that the spots aren't coming back.

It is frustrating and exasperating when this stuff can't get resolved. I once lost almost all my fish to a Columnaris outbreak brought on by 3 fish from a fish store which I bought even though they weren't as perky as they should have been, and I felt sorry for them, and didn't use a QT tank. :eek: It was the slower version, illness. Fish just kept dying no matter what I tried. :(

QT has saved me on a number of times since then. And I use QT now! Up to that point I had been pretty lucky and hadn't had any illnesses that could kill all the fish.

Keep it up, you want those parasites dead!!!

Beauty! Jack the temp up to 87-88. They can all take it. Angel's and rams are not a good combo. Both equally disposed, size being the issue.

I looked up good companion fish before I bought them. As long as I have big enough tank and they have their own area.
Which they do.
Thank you for your concern.

Also be careful not using the same equipment, like vac's and nets and water changing containers between tanks, or moving decor or plants, air bubbler either.

There have been some articles on how the newer forms of Ich coming about and is not killed by heat (I think it said the heat).

Make sure to keep up extra aeration.

Medication and heat can sometimes cause issues when used at the same time.

Keep the heat on until the last spot is seen - plus for 7 days. Then start reducing it a degree a day for a few days and then a bit more quickly once you can tel that the spots aren't coming back.

It is frustrating and exasperating when this stuff can't get resolved. I once lost almost all my fish to a Columnaris outbreak brought on by 3 fish from a fish store which I bought even though they weren't as perky as they should have been, and I felt sorry for them, and didn't use a QT tank. :eek: It was the slower version, illness. Fish just kept dying no matter what I tried. :(

QT has saved me on a number of times since then. And I use QT now! Up to that point I had been pretty lucky and hadn't had any illnesses that could kill all the fish.

Keep it up, you want those parasites dead!!!

Yes I had put a mystery snail in my 10 gallon from the 55 gallon. Pretty sure that is what happened.

I am looking into a QT tank I am using my other one for the baby mollies.

Thank you so much

Yes I had put a mystery snail in my 10 gallon from the 55 gallon. Pretty sure that is what happened.

I am looking into a QT tank I am using my other one for the baby mollies.

Thank you so much

Oh and I got air bubblers going

Oh and I got air bubblers going

Hi
I have stopped with the med and just using aquarium salt heat and patience.
I just don’t understand why the itch stays on Mr. Jones so much[emoji780][emoji780]

I lost one cat fish I have had him and his buddy the longest. [emoji22]. My upside down catfish wasn’t looking good but it seems to be coming around. Using Seachem Stress stuff.

Hi
I have stopped with the med and just using aquarium salt heat and patience.
I just don’t understand why the itch stays on Mr. Jones so much[emoji780][emoji780]

I lost one cat fish I have had him and his buddy the longest. [emoji22]. My upside down catfish wasn’t looking good but it seems to be coming around. Using Seachem Stress stuff.

from my reading in the past, the more stressed a fish gets the weaker its immune system/slime coat and the easier for ich to attack it. Rams have always seemed like easily stressed fish in my experiance. they stop eating over the silliest things and then you get the ram wating disease. angels are usually much hardier, not sure what else is in the tank.

i never had any luck with heat, or salt personally. the only thing that ever worked for me was paraguard (i swear you guys must think im a sales rep for seachem). I mix the paraguard and prazi pro and thats it. Once its cleared I always make sure my water is super clean and i feed my fish very well. I feed a flake first then later they always get live blackworms. Ever since I started feeding them live worms I have never had an unhealthy fish. I know there is always the chance of a parasite coming with live food but so far so good.

Make sure youre cleaning your substrate with water changes. Ive read the spores will stay in the sub between stages and unless you vac them out youll just be dealing with an endless cycle.

After the black mollies were born like two days this little one showed up out of the blue. Has hardly grown at all while the others are growing just fine. Adjustments.jpgView attachment 1

The first picture is of little man the second is of a black molly born around the same time.

Another mysteryAdjustments.jpg

Last edited:
this thread jinxed me. The other week I bought 4 more neons and sure enough they brought ich into my tank that had never seen it ever! Noticed it the other day.
Been dosing what little bit of my meds I still had in my drawer. Gonna start some large water changes tomorrow.

this thread jinxed me. The other week I bought 4 more neons and sure enough they brought ich into my tank that had never seen it ever! Noticed it the other day.
Been dosing what little bit of my meds I still had in my drawer. Gonna start some large water changes tomorrow.

So sorry

the praxi/para cleared it but i lost my poor Amazon puffer over it.
oddly my pea puffer never even got it.
all other fish survived fine.
he was my favorite fish though.
we had a few things happen that obstructed my complete attention to the situation but it cleared up.

how's your tank?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom