Acclimating SNAILS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Christine22780

Aquarium Advice Activist
My snails are not moving..Ive had them in the tank since 4pm yesterday and they are not moving... I basically just floated the bag and added my own water slowly.. I didnt do the drip process..I know what your going to say. Luckily, these snail were only 1.00 a piece but they were very active when I bought them! Do you think they are dead already?, Or maybe theyll start moving in afew days?
I looked up snails and I read someone that said this:put them on the glass just above the water surface - they'll go in on their own when they've acclimated.
Now, has anyone done this, sounds kinda ridiculous, but anyway, Im ready to hear your advice! :confused:(be nice)

I have seen it stated you can put them on the glass above the water, but I have no personal experience with this method. I drip all my critters, inverts even longer than fish since they are less tolerant to parameter swings.
When you pick up your snails, do they move? If not, they probably are dead.

No, they dont move....There little foots are tucked pretty deep in the shell.. Im so disapointed. This didnt happen to my other snails. I think Im going to put them in my other tank and let my Niger Trigger play with them if they are not alive! :(

Ive never really had a snail move in my hand though, thats why Im wondering if the glass trick would work..

I never acclimate FW snails. As long as the water params are good, they should come out soon. Try giving them a piece of lettuce or cucumber to eat, and check on them after the lights go out.

Next time acclimate them slower. Some snails may take up to 2 days (or longer) to become active. Give them a few days.

As I'm sure you know, FW and SW species physiology is quite different and requires different levels of care, acclimation, water parameters , etc

A SaltWater Store.. Basicially I didnt acclimate them longer like I should have... Im hoping theyll start to move so I dont want to take them out of the tank just yet, but I have a feeling they arent doing well, they were active in the bag while I was ajusting them.

Back
Top Bottom