Becoming frustrated....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cubswin17

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started my tank about a month ago, I added live rock and have come across a few hitch hikers that I have sought the groups help in identifying. I have a number of worms that are all the same, but I can't figure out what type they are. My fear is that they are fire worms. I posted a pic in another thread I started. Now I saw something on my tank that I think are hydroids. I've attached a pic that I found on the net. It's my understanding that they are bad for my tank and can sting. Am I misinformed? I also have a brittle starfish as well. I certainly didn't get a tank so that I could be stung by hitch hikers that I never wanted. My question is, can I get rid of my live rock and get rid of the hitch hikers? Or, is there a good possibility that they are in my sand substrate now as well. If that is the case, is there anything I can do apart from start over? Thanks for the help. I love my tank, but I'm getting some stuff I didn't want, and didn't realize I was opening myself up too. Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3512878238.png
    image-3512878238.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 84
Theyre probably in the sand. The brittle star is an awsome hitchhiker tho. Im not sure about the pic, buit dont give up!!!!!! Ive lost 3 fish in the past 2 weeks (2 today) from ick and diseases but you just have to keep trying!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

I started my tank about a month ago, I added live rock and have come across a few hitch hikers that I have sought the groups help in identifying. I have a number of worms that are all the same, but I can't figure out what type they are. My fear is that they are fire worms. I posted a pic in another thread I started. Now I saw something on my tank that I think are hydroids. I've attached a pic that I found on the net. It's my understanding that they are bad for my tank and can sting. Am I misinformed? I also have a brittle starfish as well. I certainly didn't get a tank so that I could be stung by hitch hikers that I never wanted. My question is, can I get rid of my live rock and get rid of the hitch hikers? Or, is there a good possibility that they are in my sand substrate now as well. If that is the case, is there anything I can do apart from start over? Thanks for the help. I love my tank, but I'm getting some stuff I didn't want, and didn't realize I was opening myself up too. Thanks!

Sorry to hear that - it just comes with the trade. Just out of curiosity, what type of live rock did you get?

I have the same problem. I bought some Florida live rock and got two mantis shrimps, bristle worms, vermatid snails, crabs, fish eating anemones (supposedly) and aiptasias :blink: I decided to set my live rock out and let it dry to rid it of the pests. I also bought some dry rock from bulk reef supply to avoid hitch hikers and made that the majority of my tank's rock.

The worms will be in your sand and rock, but unless they are huge, I wouldn't worry about them. Not sure about the hydroid or starfish, sorry.

Some people say that all the surprises are the best part, but I disagree - not all surprises are good lol. I'd recommend the dry rock from now on. It will eventually go live. You don't need to remove your sand either. And keep in mind, there are some fish out there that are natural pest predators (wrasses are awesome).

crister13 said:
Theyre probably in the sand. The brittle star is an awsome hitchhiker tho. Im not sure about the pic, buit dont give up!!!!!! Ive lost 3 fish in the past 2 weeks (2 today) from ick and diseases but you just have to keep trying!!!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Wow, sorry to hear about your fish! Thanks for the encouragement!

all4wheels2 said:
Sorry to hear that - it just comes with the trade. Just out of curiosity, what type of live rock did you get?

I have the same problem. I bought some Florida live rock and got two mantis shrimps, bristle worms, vermatid snails, crabs, fish eating anemones (supposedly) and aiptasias :blink: I decided to set my live rock out and let it dry to rid it of the pests. I also bought some dry rock from bulk reef supply to avoid hitch hikers and made that the majority of my tank's rock.

The worms will be in your sand and rock, but unless they are huge, I wouldn't worry about them. Not sure about the hydroid or starfish, sorry.

Some people say that all the surprises are the best part, but I disagree - not all surprises are good lol. I'd recommend the dry rock from now on. It will eventually go live. You don't need to remove your sand either. And keep in mind, there are some fish out there that are natural pest predators (wrasses are awesome).

Honestly I don't know what kind of live rock I have. Maybe that's part of my problem, not enough of an education in what I'm doing. Good suggestion about using the dry rock, I will try that. And I'm with you... Not all surprises are good!

+ 1 dry rock all the way. letting it become live in your tank its actually a cool process to watch as the Coraline algae grows throughout the tank's life .

This may be a dumb question, sorry if it is. Do I need to have live rock in the tank in order to turn the dry rock into live rock? And... If I remove my live rock and sand, do I basically need to start over with the cycling of my tank? What if I leave some sand that I know doesn't have any unwelcome hitchhikers, will I need to re-cycle my tank? Sorry if the questions are dumb, but I'm new to this and want it to be an enjoyable hobby. I don't want to be worried every time I put my hand in the tank. Thanks everyone!

Hypothecially, if you were to start fresh with Dry rock and Dry sand the way you can get the cycle started is by dosing the tank with pure ammonia or the shrimp method. there are extensive articles available on this forum on how to accomplish that.

This may be a dumb question, sorry if it is. Do I need to have live rock in the tank in order to turn the dry rock into live rock? And... If I remove my live rock and sand, do I basically need to start over with the cycling of my tank? What if I leave some sand that I know doesn't have any unwelcome hitchhikers, will I need to re-cycle my tank? Sorry if the questions are dumb, but I'm new to this and want it to be an enjoyable hobby. I don't want to be worried every time I put my hand in the tank. Thanks everyone!

You don't need to have live rock in the tank in order to turn the dry rock into live rock. Yes, if you remove your LR and LS, you will need to cycle your tank again. If you decide to leave some sand that doesn't have any hitchhikers etc, it will help cycle the tank faster.

Take a look here for a great guide on fish less cycling, with ammonia:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Personally, I went with the "a lot of base rock/ a little live rock" route. So far I love it. It makes me feel better knowing that there's not too many bad hitch hikers in there. It does take a longer time to cycle/cure the rock; but i don't mind. This is one of a few hobbies out there that the longer time you take with it, the better. Hope this helps!

i can understand your pain,but cant relate... i got 2 insanely fast and cool hermit crabs, along with a leatherhead coral... rick def brought up a good option, if i were you, id prob buy dry rock and take a few very carefully selected hitchhiker-free pieces of live rock from your tank now and re-establish the tank... if you really wanna wipe out the hitchhikers, you could thoroughly wash your sand as well...but its all up to you

I don't really think any of your hitchhikers are bad. The worms come with the LR and can be a good thing depending on what they are. Bristle stars are a good thing too. It rare that u get the mean fish-eating kind. And those hydroids ate usually not bad either.
I personally love hitchhikers and so far never had anything bad. Does it happen? YES, but rarely. I once heard of a guy who had an octopus hitchhiker and loved him!

Patience is important in this hobby. I have more than 1000 times just wanted to scream, and lost many many hours of sleep over it ;)

Hitchhikers happen and usually they are fun ;) aphasia is easy to get rid of, worms are good, and those hydroids aren't bad either.

Nobody wants to get stung by their tank, but sooner or later one of your fishies will try to bite you anyways ;)

Just take the good with the bad and don't start over... Just go with it ;)

----
Huma is prolly sitting at home thinking: "there ahe goes again with her sit-back-and-let-it-do-it's-own-thing talk" ;)

Man, I love getting the hitchhikers! Even if they are "bad", there are ways to have them removed/eaten. Also, don't worry about getting stung, just get these: Aquarium Protective Gloves

You can wear them and they'll keep your nasty sweat and skin contaminants out of your tank! :)

huma-huma said:
Lol unicorn and her tendencies. Action thru inaction lol

Always at ur service ;)

Cubswin17 said:
I really appreciate everyone's advice. This forum is awesome! Thank you all!
Ur welcome! Hope we were able to help

I think I'm going crazy, LOL! I turned my lights off and grabbed a flashlight to take a look at the night life in my tank. I'm pretty sure that I saw a very (and I mean VERY) small jellyfish! After I lost track of that one I started to see them all over the place. Am I seeing things? Can you get jellyfish in your tank?? They were way too small to take a picture of, but they moved around just like a jellyfish and were basically clear. Any thoughts?? I was cleaning my tank this afternoon and had my arm in the tank, with the amount that I saw I don't see how it would be possible to not touch one. I will admit, my post is about unwanted hitchhikers and not wanting to get stung by something... But these were pretty cool! Any thoughts??

Copepods maybe? Or isopods? Doubt it's real jellyfish

Unicorn said:
Copepods maybe? Or isopods? Doubt it's real jellyfish

I just googled both of those... Doesn't look like either. I wish I could get a picture. They looked just like a jellyfish, round top with legs hanging from it. It propelled itself the same way too. I'm going to try to get a picture right now. If I get one I'll post it ASAP.

Highly doubt its a jelly...they are passive swimmers...using current to propel them. Good luck finding out what it is though

Back
Top Bottom