Brown algae help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moose821

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I've been battling with brown algae growing in my sand and rock, my water parameters are perfect, only 8 hours of light, and kept feeding to a minimum. So I couldn't figure out why my tank was being taken over and I know others have had the same problem. Luckily I found the perfect clean up crew and in the matter of 1 night I woke up this morning to clean sand. I bought 5 large hermit crabs from my LFS, anyone struggling with the same prob I highly recommend them. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401195577.850757.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401195589.200858.jpg

How old is the tank? It is most likely diatoms, which consume silicates from your sandbed. This is a normal 'stage' of new tanks and will eventually burn itself out.

I had the same issue, great water params and some yucky algae. I got a fighting conch and a couple of nassarius snails to stir the sand, they're all doing great and the sand looks terrific. I'm not showing any nitrates and >.04 phosphates. Good luck!

Tank is new only around 2months but it was still driving me crazy.

Yes RO/DI only and I forget what rate my power head is rated at off the top of my head. I believe it's just because my tank is fairly new.

Back
Top Bottom