Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What size tank again? How much GPH is the powerhead? I'm a bad person to ask that question to... I'm a flow nazi. I like pointing powerheads at one another for a chaotic flow and really max out in the GPH game. One MP40 should be enough for a 55 gallon tank...but I have two AND a koralia that I don't recall the GPH on.

Soft coral are 10-20x turnover where SPS is 30x or more.
So, in a 10 gallon tank you'd be looking for 100 gph on the low end of softies. That would make the 425 way over what you need. This will be helped by pointing it up and towards one of the sides of glass to create a more 'chaotic' flow pattern through the tank.

EDIT: This is all really rough though. Your sand and rock will cause much displacement in the tank, significantly lowering the amount of water in the tank. Either way, powerhead will be fine on flow.

Last edited:
Soft coral are 10-20x turnover where SPS is 30x or more.
So, in a 10 gallon tank you'd be looking for 100 gph on the low end of softies. That would make the 425 way over what you need. This will be helped by pointing it up and towards one of the sides of glass to create a more 'chaotic' flow pattern through the tank.

Awesome. I was going to say I got a cheapie 900gph in my 5 gal bucket for mixing. Now that's way overboard :D

Caleb

Caleb, this is an excellent thread! You've done quite the job here man! You should be proud! Doing it right from the get go always helps;) wish I could go back to the future like Marty sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Caleb, this is an excellent thread! You've done quite the job here man! You should be proud! Doing it right from the get go always helps;) wish I could go back to the future like Marty sometimes.

And what are you doing here in the salty world??? Thank you! I hope it can one day help beginners like mean learn the basics and how to setup a nano tank. I love how I said college budget and have used half a weeks paycheck already :p

Caleb

And what are you doing here in the salty world??? Thank you! I hope it can one day help beginners like mean learn the basics and how to setup a nano tank. I love how I said college budget and have used half a weeks paycheck already :p

Caleb

I lurk from time to time... maybe I want a sw tank someday?? Never hurts to read up a bit beforehand;)

I lurk from time to time... maybe I want a sw tank someday?? Never hurts to read up a bit beforehand;)

What better time than now Brookster? ;) Reading up before hand is always recommended. You know we are here to help if you did to get salty.Your freshwater tanks are beautiful. I'm sure your capable of a really nice SW tank.

Who forgot to mention the sour smell of a rotting shrimp in my room. Yuck! Putting up with it though. Life got in the way last night so tonight I'm scrubbing the rocks and testing the water.

Caleb

Who forgot to mention the sour smell of a rotting shrimp in my room. Yuck! Putting up with it though. Life got in the way last night so tonight I'm scrubbing the rocks and testing the water.

Caleb

Oh yeah... Could've used household Ammonia to kickstart the cycle.

Muuuuch less smelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Water test results pending *please hold*

My family also has grown to hate the shrimp smell so I'm probably going to use my leftover ammonia from cycling my 75g for this tank since they can't stand the smell lol.

Caleb

pH: 8.0

Ammonia: 8.0ppm geez

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 0ppm

Phosphate(if it matters): 0.25ppm

Haven't done the reef tests yet.

Caleb

Found this on one of my rocks. I cut it out. Sorta felt like rubber but didn't look like rubber. It's the black thing in the middle

Caleb

Also felt the tank was too cluttered so I rescaped it. Still have like 10-12 pounds of rock in there.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430612142.611168.jpg

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom