Caleb getting salty!?! No way..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Clean off the glass. If you are still cycling, don't turn your lights on and you won't see much of anything grow. Then you can do your water change when you are done to bring the nitrates down.

What Hank? I'm starting the cycle tonight. Mixing salt and stuff when I get home. And got it leave the lights off for the cycle.

Caleb

Got the wierdest look from the guy at Publix when I asked for only 3 shrimp :D on my way home to do the salt batch though!

Caleb

Ayyyy! Can't wait to see it wet!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now you can!

Ladies and gentlemen I give you my cycling 10g Nano Reef ????????

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430445297.039503.jpg

I have roughly 11-12 pounds of aragonite sand and 8 pounds of live/aquacultured rock plus 6 pounds of dry.

Caleb

Looks like a start of something good. Now the wait and read game. :) Hank good can on the lights out.

Looks like a start of something good. Now the wait and read game. :) Hank good can on the lights out.

About the macro algae is it good? It came on some of the aquacultured and wasn't sure if I should have removed it..

This reef kit is confusing lol gonna have to sit down tommorow and try to figure it out

Caleb

About the macro algae is it good? It came on some of the aquacultured and wasn't sure if I should have removed it..

This reef kit is confusing lol gonna have to sit down tommorow and try to figure it out

Caleb
Some of our can take over corals and spread pretty quick. Depends on what you have. Best to fix this issue now though. Are there different kinds or? Try to get some photos of what all you have, I can't really tell from that tank shot.

I would be to concerned about the red/purple ones units it's actually sprouting out something. The green hair algae can be scrubbed of and rinsed in RO water. I would pull as much of before hand. The other 2 green ones I see look like they could be types of caulerpa which can be invasive. I would start by pulling as much of as possible by hand/tweezers. It will probably be rooted pretty good so if you have some snips/bone cutters or something you could try to cut into the surface of the rock to remove all roots from the rock. Rinse it of when done. I had some Rick with it on before and it started to get out of hand. Once rooted out is hard to remove. You will find that out of you remove what you already have. Here is a page of macro algae IDs

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

The caulerpa needs to go asap. I've seen too many tanks overrun with the stuff. My LFS had this issue and they had to tear the entire tank down and ditch the LR to get rid of the stuff.
I'd scrub the hair algae off as well.
The other green one is coined 'money plant'. It is a cool macro algae. Slow grower that consumes calcium to grow just like a coral.

I would be to concerned about the red/purple ones units it's actually sprouting out something. The green hair algae can be scrubbed of and rinsed in RO water. I would pull as much of before hand. The other 2 green ones I see look like they could be types of caulerpa which can be invasive. I would start by pulling as much of as possible by hand/tweezers. It will probably be rooted pretty good so if you have some snips/bone cutters or something you could try to cut into the surface of the rock to remove all roots from the rock. Rinse it of when done. I had some Rick with it on before and it started to get out of hand. Once rooted out is hard to remove. You will find that out of you remove what you already have. Here is a page of macro algae IDs

https://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

OMG that's a long list of baddies ?

This is first think on my list when I get home. I'll pull all the rock and scrub it down

Caleb

OMG that's a long list of baddies ?

This is first think on my list when I get home. I'll pull all the rock and scrub it down

Caleb

There are only two in there of any 'concern'. Pull the rock out with the caulerpa and hair algae, pull it out and scrub it down. Do a good job and don't worry about much else. Your tank isn't cycled yet but in the process of doing so. Just cut the lights out and you shouldn't see any additional algae growth through the cycle.

There are only two in there of any 'concern'. Pull the rock out with the caulerpa and hair algae, pull it out and scrub it down. Do a good job and don't worry about much else. Your tank isn't cycled yet but in the process of doing so. Just cut the lights out and you shouldn't see any additional algae growth through the cycle.

Thanks Hank I overreacted some thinking I put some major no-no in my tank.

I am keeping lights off I just turned it on for a pic. I'll test the water tonight to see progress.

Oh and forgot to mention the LFS says they have a Duncan somewhere which is awesome because I really like it more than all the others.

Caleb

Duncans are great coral. Lots of flow, easy to keep, very forgiving. I loved them when I first started. I have a green/green and a purple/green in my tank right now. The g/g is at 50 heads at least count I think, it is getting huge. The other isn't doing too bad considering I got it as one head if I remember correctly...I accidentally killed a head when I upgraded to the mp40 and the flow killed it off.

Duncans are great coral. Lots of flow, easy to keep, very forgiving. I loved them when I first started. I have a green/green and a purple/green in my tank right now. The g/g is at 50 heads at least count I think, it is getting huge. The other isn't doing too bad considering I got it as one head if I remember correctly...I accidentally killed a head when I upgraded to the mp40 and the flow killed it off.

Will my one powerhead support it or do I need another?

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom