Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, that was one of the first things Ilearned, months before I even put my sump together. I've been selling some tanks and gear to newbie saltwater people and have mentioned it to every one of them, and not one even considered that factor. I have mine right at the water line so I do get a nice little stream of water but it's all good by me. My B/F drilled the hole straight on instead of on an angle but I have another return nozzle to do it right one day. lol

This forum rocks! Just have to say it. I would never in a million years or until I flooded thought of that back siphoning from the return.

I have the whole kit with all the pipes for a single overflow. So the intake pipe would be going into that hole?

also, the directions for the overflow kit say to use silicone, TWICE as have some other people on this thread. Why wouldnt I want to silicone it all together? For adjusting, maintainence or is there some other reason you didn't recommend using silicone?

the overflow kit says to silicone the gaskets? i've never used anything under those gaskets. they are made to hold water. i believe anything between them and the glass would compromise the seal.

there is a silicon lube meant to alow the fittings to slide on each other and gasket vs having friction build up and wrinkle the gasket causing a potential leak.

Here are the directions I have that came with the kit. Not sure if you can read em but I tried....I also included the pictures of the parts I have in the kit.

img_1528991_0_9fb00e630a31f78d8431e10e328a2541.jpg

img_1528991_1_6c533d2456a86533e815e907e7a2a11c.jpg

img_1528991_2_48148326436a75d92e345b12a4321912.jpg

img_1528991_3_a883b8bb9f3f4488210c5fd92e72ba19.jpg

oh..yes, you want to glue the pipes together. they will slowly drain the overflow compartment otherwise.

as you can see, you want to glue the pipes to the bulkheads because they are not the threaded type, but the slip type.

So no silicone and only glue the two? with pvc cement then?

Looking at the list of what came in the kit is there anything missing?

my interpritaion is cement the drain pipe top to bottom and flex hoses. and only cement the return to the bulk head fitting. no need to do it to the elbow at the top. and lube or "wet" the bulk head seals for assembly.

i would definitely glue all of the return plumbing since it's under a little pressure. you won't want the 90 at the top coming loose and shooting water straight up in the air while you are out/sleeping. i believe locline are usually threaded, so that doesn't need to be glued.

Back
Top Bottom