Carey's Final Reef Upgrade- 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No Sniper, this is my last try at copperbands. I've lost three since I killed off the first one and I wont take the chance again. End of story on that. I've never attempted afish more than twice before but made an exception for this particular only beacuse of where I purchased him and the factors around his containment at this lfs. There will be a 300g build upgrade before I ever get another copperband.
And yes red, this guy at this lfs is very very particular about his fish and when he will sell them. Like I said, I was in there a few weeks ago and both fish were not available for sale yet as the owner felt they were too new to sell.
The only slight concern I have is the naso has a taste for chromis. :-( She killed a couple in the lfs's holding tank according to the owner. He thinks the fish will be fine since I have a much larger tank than he had them in and the fact that his chromis had no rock work to escape to if they do get chased. he also said he will take her back if I have any trouble with her. Thats the only lfs I have ever heard that from.
Ijust released both fish into the tank a few minutes ago with the lights off. The copperband immediately started swimming around and the naso is kinda hangin out in the right hand corner with the clowns. Will keep you all updated!

Thanks so much guys! Just about done with my stocking and hopefully can sit back and enjoy the tank for a bit. :)

No Sniper, this is my last try at copperbands. I've lost three since I killed off the first one and I wont take the chance again. End of story on that. I've never attempted afish more than twice before but made an exception for this particular only beacuse of where I purchased him and the factors around his containment at this lfs. There will be a 300g build upgrade before I ever get another copperband.
And yes red, this guy at this lfs is very very particular about his fish and when he will sell them. Like I said, I was in there a few weeks ago and both fish were not available for sale yet as the owner felt they were too new to sell.
The only slight concern I have is the naso has a taste for chromis. :-( She killed a couple in the lfs's holding tank according to the owner. He thinks the fish will be fine since I have a much larger tank than he had them in and the fact that his chromis had no rock work to escape to if they do get chased. he also said he will take her back if I have any trouble with her. Thats the only lfs I have ever heard that from.
Ijust released both fish into the tank a few minutes ago with the lights off. The copperband immediately started swimming around and the naso is kinda hangin out in the right hand corner with the clowns. Will keep you all updated!

Thanks so much guys! Just about done with my stocking and hopefully can sit back and enjoy the tank for a bit. :)

Congratulations on your new pals! :dance: Enjoy, and do keep us posted!

The lights are still off but I fed some frozen anyways. lol The naso is a big huge pig so far. lol The copperband seemed to eat a couple pieces but not enough to make me very happy. It's not unusual since they were just put in the tank a few hours ago. I'll be sure to add pictures tomorrow and feed some more to get that butterfly eating. :)

The lights are still off but I fed some frozen anyways. lol The naso is a big huge pig so far. lol The copperband seemed to eat a couple pieces but not enough to make me very happy. It's not unusual since they were just put in the tank a few hours ago. I'll be sure to add pictures tomorrow and feed some more to get that butterfly eating. :)

Exactly, don't worry about eating just yet. :-D It is fantastic that the Naso is pigging out!

Naso still continues to be a pig with food while the copperband seems to only be nibbling. I will try some other frozen food later and see what I can get out of her. lol

Some photos, a full tank shot, the naso and of course the copperband.

Both look great. I'm glad to hear the Blonde is eating so well. I'm looking into getting one over the holiday break. My fingers are crossed for you with the Copperband too. My LFS just got one this week (and an Achilles Tang), so I will see what their's eats and let ya know. They said they can almost always get their Copperbands to eat. The Achilles will be interesting to see too. Both were put into separate coral/frag tanks, so at least they have a little more room.

Good luck with the achilles if you go that route. :) I am still unsure of my abilities so I wont dare try one. lol

Copperbnands are strange critters, the two I bought that didnt eat for me both ate at the store when I bought them. This one was a major pig, even taking food from the chromis mouths but for me not such a great feeding response so far.

This naso isnt as pretty as the one I had two weeks ago but she is a looker. lol She hasnt quite grasped the algae clip yet, lol, she gets close but wont go after it like the others do. I'm sure she'll figure it out soon enough. I also found that my filefish absolutely love the algae on the clip, go figure. The one is right there with pootie ripping off big pieces. Didnt expect them to like the greens so much. lol
Planning on emptying the 60g today hopefully in anticipation of getting the new stand next week at the latest, that should be a fun project. Also got my new power strips back from digital aquatics so I still need to hook the controller up to this tank. Bummer is the sl1 module that controls ph, temp and the ato is shot so I just oredered a new one, but I got the one that can control salinity as well! Ten bucks more so I figured why not. It will be nice to always have the salinity and ph clearly visible and alarms set up whent hey fall out of normal parameters. :)

Good luck with the achilles if you go that route. :) I am still unsure of my abilities so I wont dare try one. lol.

I am just watching the Achilles...no chance I would ever buy one. Way too tough to keep. I just thought it was interesting that they had two pretty tricky fish in side-by-side tanks. I almost hope they keep them both, as I'm not sure the average person going in there would have much luck with either.

Congrats on your new additions Carey! Looking forward to following their adventures :).

Love the way your tank looks on that wall. It's a perfect fit!

Thanks Callen. :)

It also is only like 18 inches from my ro/di setup right outside the back patio door. Makes a water change oh so much easier. lol
I'm not sure but I dont think the copperband likes the lighting. I turned them off just now and he came right out. Will ahve to try and feed him when the lights are off lol

Good luck! Yes, bright lighting probably makes new specimens a little nervous on a new environment. :)

Report back with your findings!

The toadstool is opening up about halfway, should I still keep the light at minimum? Or wait til it starts opening fully? Or do I start to increase the intensity now? I lost the only sps I hadm and the favias on the sandbed look pretty rough. The cinnamon palys on the sand also arent opening anymore.
Any advice?

I would recommend at least a week if not two before bumping it up. And only a little at that. Just give it time.

My question is once her lights are turned up to say 75% , how do you go about acclimating and new coral to the tank?

My question is once her lights are turned up to say 75% , how do you go about acclimating and new coral to the tank?

Always light acclimate new corals to any tank by starting them on the sand bed or close to. If it starts to brown move up. Starts to bleach then filter the light somehow such as move it out of the light to edges of tank or under an overhang of rock.

I wouldn't turn the lights up until everything looks a lot better. As long as things aren't turning brown....they are getting enough light.

Heading to the dentist now for four root canals and four crowns. :-( Figured I'd do a quick update. It hasnt been good news.

The copperband died. Will not be trying one again, the lfs said he'd get me another one but I will see if he will apply that money to another fish. I am done with the butterflys. Broke my heart to take the body out, more than usual.

The yellow tang is still not eating. No algae sheets, nothing. I have tried every food I have but she just wont go near it. Even added garlic. She hasnt been pecking at the rocks or glass either but is still pretty fat so I am really hoping she will turn this around soon.
The corals continue to look so so under the leds, they are still at minimum intensity. All the other fish are looking good, the naso is still eating and have seen zero aggression between any of the fish as well. So that I guess is good news at least. Don't know what I will do if I lose another fish so soon, the copperband dying has really taken it out of me, getting frustrated.
I will update further later if I am up to it, this dental work has me extremely stressed and worried. Dropping 5k is depressing in of itself I guess. I think of the tank I could have if I didnt have to waste that money on me.
I am off......

Back
Top Bottom