Copepods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Where is a good place online to order Copepods? I ordered from Reefs2Go and was not happy with it. Thx!

My coworker recommended GARF.org's Garf Grunge and Garf Grunge Plus for this. I have not yet ordered any, but he said he has used them for years and has always been extremely pleased.

I've heard of copepod eggs or something like that and you add some weekly but I don't know what they are called

Personally the best way would be to find some fellow reefers in your area and get a bit of macro from them. Most will offer it for free since they trim anyway. IMO reefs2go and pods2go are a huge rip.

Let me update you on what I've dealt with since ordering pods and amphipods from R2G:

When they came in, upon inspection I noticed very few Copepods and a ton of amphipods. I opened the bags and they smelled terrible but I followed instructions that were given and placed the filter pads in my sump. I noticed that once the amphipods made it to my main tank they were all over my snails. I've had these snails for over a year and have only lost one. A week later I found three empty snail shells and decided to do some research on amphipods. Apparently they are opportunistic little feeders. People have had them eat on corals and I also read where someone else witnessed one crawl into the snails shell and was nibbling it. In addition, dragonet only eat the tiny ones. They typically won't eat the larger (according to what I read from others on the net). My biggest issue is that these things are possibly killing my snails and will nibble on other stuff. I'm actually going to bait them and try to get them out. I was considering a clown goby because I had read they like to eat them and I like the fish. Here is an example thread of someone who has them eating his zoas and clams. If they eat clams then I'm guessing they will eat snails too?

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/323173-my-clams-are-being-eaten-by-amphipods/

I'm mad at myself for not doing more research on them before adding them. By the way, I've seen very few Copepods these days and I did have a decent load prior but was hoping to boost it. Just wanted to let you all know what I discovered.

Thank you for the information and the links! I'm ordering some Copepods today!!!

Back
Top Bottom