Couple feeding questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gauge

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I usually feed my fish flakes or frozen brine shrimp. I've been hearing that brine are worthless in terms of nutrition and if I feed with brine I should add some vitamin suppliment or something. What should I use, and how should I apply it to live brine (because I'm considering starting to use them.)

Also, if you feed live brine is there any problem with putting 3 days worth of brine in the tank and then leaving them there for that length of time? Or, for example, 10 days worth? Overfeeding, based on what I hear, is an issue due to the food rotting instead of being eaten, and thus causing unwanted ammonia, nitrites, and ultimately nitrates. This wouldn't be a problem for live food, it seems. Is there some other reason not to do this?

live brine doesnt have much more nutritional value than frozen. What are you feeding that would require live brine? There is most likely a better alternative.

I'm trying to get a sick clownfish to eat, and I heard that live brine is an enticing food. I have a thread in the sick fish/coral forum if you'd like to read it.

Plus, I'd just like to try a live food... just for kicks, I guess. ;)

Live brine is quite enticing and easy to make. You can find live brine eggs most everywhere and clutring them is a piece of cake.

So, putting a bunch of brine in the tank for him to eat will not be a problem if they don't get consumed quickly? No adverse affects from a double dose of brine swimming freely in the tank for a day or so? If he doesn't eat them in a day, I'll release my damsel into the tank to get them and move the clownfish into my breeder net. (unless it will never become a problem at which point I'll just leave them in there)

Back
Top Bottom