Cycling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marman2014

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So i know this has been in many topics but I hear both sides. My tank is in week 6 and showing 55gal -Temp 79.1,Phosphates 1.0ppm, nitrate, nitrate, amonia all 0 KH was 161ppm. Is it good or bad to do a water change during cycling? I used about 20lbs of dead rock and 20lbs of live rock from my current tank that I have had for 2 years. I used new Live sand and LFS RO water. I really havn't seen much for spikes in amonia nitite or nitrates only phosphate.

What did you use as your ammonia source?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a big fan of ammonia dosing instead of raw shrimp for the source. Simple math gets you the dosing requirement.

Volume in liters (say 75 for a 20 gal tank) x 1000ml/L to get 75,000 ml. Then divide by ppm to get .075ml per ppm. Multiply by 4 to get 0.3ml per 4 ppm.
Now my ammonia is 8% strength (because ammonia is a gas at room temp&pressure). So divide .3ml by 0.08 to get around 4ml.
A 4 ml dose of 8% ammonia should raise a 20 gal tank to around 4ppm ammonia.
I love math.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Cycling

What did you use as your ammonia source?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Well hopefully I didn't do wrong but all I did was put a big shrimp in it for about 1-2 weeks. I guess I figured since i took close to half of my current running reef tank and put into 55 would work the same. Might be why im also having phosphate problems

There should not be all zeros at the end of a cycle. It all ends up as Nitrates, which must be removed, so there should be some measure of nitrates. IMO, there is no reason to do a water change during a cycle, especially if you have water with nothing showing other than phosphate.

If you pulled some live rock from an established tank, there should be beneficial bacteria. Ideally, I would dose ammonia to about 4ppm and see if it's gone in 24 hrs. If so, you are good. You could try adding a fish and watch parameters, but you've gotta have a gameplan if ammonia or nitrites show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom