do you need a.........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquarium

Aquarium Advice Regular
filter for a SW like you need one for a FW or would the skimmer LR and LS and the cleaners do the filtration????

ALSO would sand from the beach(the every1 walks on)be considered LS and if not could you use it in the tank or would it kill the fish...(just to let yall know i havent started my tank yet im just researching first)...well TIA

I would avoid sand from the beach, it may contain pollutants. If you use a DSB along with 1.5-2lbs/gal. of LR and a good skimmer, your filtration needs should be met.

Lando, or any other qualified SW fanatic: Would it be wrong to have wet/dry filter as well? I'm planning my tank now and will get about 1.5 lbs of LR per gal, an in sump protein skimmer, and about 3-4 inches of LS. It wouldn't hurt to have a wet/dry with bioballs, would it? Would there be enough nitrates for the rock and sand? TIA!

Heineken said:
Lando, or any other qualified SW fanatic: Would it be wrong to have wet/dry filter as well? I'm planning my tank now and will get about 1.5 lbs of LR per gal, an in sump protein skimmer, and about 3-4 inches of LS. It wouldn't hurt to have a wet/dry with bioballs, would it? Would there be enough nitrates for the rock and sand?
TIA!

You will have plenty of biological filtration from the amounts of LR/LS that Lando recommended. Save your money and use 3" of dry sand and add a 1" layer of LS on top. Some Corals do like a little nitrate but I wouldn't bother using a wet/dry for this purpose only.

Back
Top Bottom