Doing Research - Stocking Sound Compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking (and budgeting) into possibly starting a sw tank! I'll probably be keeping it FOWLR for a year-ish to get comfortable as I've never kept a sw tank before. (But I do have a year of fw experience).

I'm looking at getting a 29g biocube with protein skimmer. As far as stocking, I'm looking at an ocellaris clown pair, a chalk basslet, a firefish, and a banggai cardinalfish. Does this sound like too much? Any aggression issues?? I'd also like to get some little hermit crabs or maybe some cleaner shrimp since I love inverts too.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!! :)

I'm not 100%, but an ocellaris pair may claim the whole tank. I had w chalk bass in mine, imho a great fish. I think cardinals at times won't eat, or are picky at least. I also think they are goofy looking and not very active. The pajamas cardinal looks like Dr. Seuss's nightmare.

As far as skimmers go, spend the money for a Tunze, the Coralife ones work, just not well.

Next, pick hermits or snails, you can do both, but sooner or later you'll have to replenish the snails as the hermits are murderous beasts.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

I suppose it's something to do more research into! I know they can be semi-territorial, and it's better to get one that's a lot smaller than the other so they actually pair instead of just fight as females.I was watching a bunch of 29g coralife biocube videos earlier and most people seem to have clownfish pairs, or a single larger clown, like a maroon clown (which I know are more aggressive).

At least from what the internet tells me, most cardinals are "bulletpoof" and I love the silvery shimmer that banggai cardinals have, not a huge fan of the pajama cardinals, they do look like Dr. Seuss and Tim Burton's lovechild as a fish haha. Very excited for a chalk basslet though!! :D Any possible aggression towards a firefish? I know firefish are VERY timid, and if this stocking is okay I would probably go: firefish -> chalk basslet -> cardinalfish -> clown pair, to go from most peaceful to semi-aggressive.

Any idea if the Tunze fits in the back chambers of the biocube? I'm thinking about doing some slight mods (add LEDs, maybe add some other things) but would like to keep the lid on it.

Are there any snails that can survive/ outspeed the hermits? At least from what freshwater taught me, snails are great at cleaning the glass and shrimp are great at cleaning the scape. If I were to get any snails, they would moreso be for their cleaning abilities, so I suppose it wouldn't be a great loss (so long as they're not too expensive). Do hermits and shrimp attack each other? Or would the shrimp just swim away from the slower hermits? I'm also interested in feather dusters, how difficult are they to keep? Only interested in keeping one, but still.

Sorry for so many questions! I appreciate the responses.

Looking (and budgeting) into possibly starting a sw tank! I'll probably be keeping it FOWLR for a year-ish to get comfortable as I've never kept a sw tank before. (But I do have a year of fw experience).

I'm looking at getting a 29g biocube with protein skimmer. As far as stocking, I'm looking at an ocellaris clown pair, a chalk basslet, a firefish, and a banggai cardinalfish. Does this sound like too much? Any aggression issues?? I'd also like to get some little hermit crabs or maybe some cleaner shrimp since I love inverts too.

Any feedback greatly appreciated!! :)
IMO
in the 29g 2 clowns and fire fish would be the max with fish inverts would work banJJi cardinals can get big I had a pair a little over 5 inch in size
you can possibly find another small fish like a sand sifter that could work to your advantage basslet is a no go would most likely pick on fire fish

Last edited:
Well I can see that the cardinal can get big.

Why no on the basslet? Every website I've seen lists it as peaceful. If I create enough caves/overhangs it should be okay? Add the basslet last to prevent aggression...?

Back
Top Bottom