Dry/Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alyxandria

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay, so I have a standard 55G I am going to make into a saltwater reef.

How much dry/live rock should I use?

Should I do a combo of both?

My LFS has the rock in a large bucket. Does this mean it's already cured and is live rock?

Sent from my iPhone.

As much or as little as you like. If you want hitch hikers from the ocean, then you will want to add live rock to the tank. If not, you can use 100% dry rock.
No, rock submerged in water is no guarantee that it's cycled. Even if there was a sign on the bin that said "cured/cycled rock", I would still treat it as an ammonia source until I was sure (via test kits) that it was not producing any.

I don't want any hitch hikers unless they're gonna pay rent lol.

I think I will get at least one or two pieces of live rock to help seed the tank.

Will that make a difference? The dry rock will release all the dead organisms and such and start the cycle regardless right? Is it much slower?

I'd be using some sort of chemical cycle additive as well as the live sand from my LFS.

This is going to be my first saltwater and eventually reef tank and I don't want to have to deal with any hitch hikers if at all possible.

Sent from my iPhone.

Not necessarily. The dry rock will have little to no die off on it to start a cycle. You'll need to add an ammonia source.

Some hitch hikers are good for the tank. Amphipods, copepods, some isopods, common bristle worms, starfish, and such are all generally helpful and make for an interesting reef. "Seeding" the rock with live rock can bring as many hitch hikers as using 100% live. It's a gamble.

I went with four pieces of live rock. Have the salinity right I just am trying to get the sand cloudiness out.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415474570.049281.jpg

I'm also using this as my ammonia source.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415474646.825170.jpg

I'm about to test the levels right now to see where we are at.

Sent from my iPhone.

You don't have enough surface area to support livestock IMO. I would buy about 2 to 3 times as much rock before you cycle it. I would think you would have nitrate problems at the very least with that little rock. I can't comment on the fluval product. I've always added an ammonia source (a raw shrimp or large amount of live rock) to start my cycle.

Well, I bought out my LFS of live rock when I went and they're the only place in town that sells it. Waiting till they get more and I'm going to get another couple pieces.

Am I able to do this later or will it cause problems? I'm not going to be putting fish in it for a while I don't think. I want to make sure my water parameters and cycle is perfect and done.

Sent from my iPhone.

The rock is where most of your bb colonize, so you should get it all in and them start the cycle. You can also look into some dry rock from offline somewhere. Should be much cheaper, even if you have to get it shipped.

Its not gonna hurt anything to start the cycle now. Just grab some more rock when you can.

The rock is where most of your bb colonize, so you should get it all in and them start the cycle. You can also look into some dry rock from offline somewhere. Should be much cheaper, even if you have to get it shipped.
I agree with BigRed.All my rock is base rock from online and it is much cheaper than an LFS. Its been awhile so I do not remember what I paid per lbs but I know it was less that $2.I got rock from Amazon and Drs Fosters and smith.The thing i wish I would have done it got less big pieces and some variety like Tonga or Fiji to go with it.Bulkreefsupply has a good selection.
Good luck! :fish2:

That bacteria in the bottle I wouldn't trust it as you don't know how long its been since it was bottled , seen people use it than add fish everything was dead the next day , the short cuts are just to make money it don't mean they work , good old clear ammonia or raw shrimp would be my option to start the cycle

I went with four pieces of live rock. Have the salinity right I just am trying to get the sand cloudiness out.

View attachment 255198

I'm also using this as my ammonia source.

View attachment 255199

I'm about to test the levels right now to see where we are at.

Sent from my iPhone.
i looked up the additive you are using as an ammonia source and it isn't a source of ammonia.it is an additive that eliminates ammonia.It states that it is beneficial bacteria that allows you to add fish immediately because is that source of beneficial bacteria that feeds on ammonia. You need to add a fresh dead shrimp or pure ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle if you do not have the amount of live rock the Mr. X talked about.The additive you bought will help speed up the cycle because it is the beneficial bacteria that results from cycling a tank I believe. Hope this helps.Good luck!

Ah gotcha! All my rock is live rock and all my sand is live sand. I'm also getting 10lbs of dry rock tonight. I tested today and my ammonia is at 0.5 with no nitrites or nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone.

Ah gotcha! All my rock is live rock and all my sand is live sand. I'm also getting 10lbs of dry rock tonight. I tested today and my ammonia is at 0.5 with no nitrites or nitrates.

Sent from my iPhone.
Sounds like the the live rock started your cycle. Just keep testing once you see a spike in nitrite.Test for nitrate and continue testing ammonia and nitrite.When your ammonia and nitrites are zero add more ammonia to 3 ppm and if they go back down to zero in 24 hours your tank is cycled. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom