Eels in marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clk506

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Want to add an eel, what fish are good to co habit with?

Eels are good with larger fish like Tangs, Butterflyfish (most are hard to care for though), large Angels etc. I believe that the general rule of thumb is just to make sure it can't fit into the eels mouth. However, everything mentioned above can also depend on the kind of eel. I think the fish above with a Snowflake would probably be alright, however, I think some more aggressive/larger kinds of eels should not be kept with the above fish.

I got a snowflake in mine he's been great I got him as a juvenile about 4 inches long and hes good make sure to have lots of rock and no fish he can put in mouth

what about some of the smaller eels like Pseudechidna brummeri (white ribbon eel), which may get over 24", but is very slender. There's always the costly Gymnothorax melatremus (golden dwarf moray) as well. Echidna nebulosa, Gymnomuraena zebra, Echidna catenata (atlantic) can also be recommended, though they may outgrow their enclosure over the years. None of these will take down fish larger than a small anthias, though they may try.

Back
Top Bottom