Endcaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SaltwaterVirgin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It is now time to add lighting to my aquarium. I'm trying to decide which endcaps to use. I have an Icecap 660 and will use 4 bulbs. So far, I've seen the waterproof 3 piece German endcaps and the Coralife rubber endcaps. I was told by the LFS that the Coralife rubber endcaps will do fine in my aquarium. They actually have these on most of their setups. My concern is I've seen that the rubber endcaps are for standard or HO lighting. The guy at the LFS said that since I would be using the Icecap electronic ballast, I could use the rubber endcaps with VHO bulbs.

Can someone please provide feedback on the Coralife rubber endcaps with VHO lighting. I'm trying not to make a big mistake here. I need to setup my lighting this week so I'm desparate.

I have used the rubber endcaps made by Taam for VHO and they were fine, they just needed replacing when you replaced your bulbs. The heat causes the rubber to harden and become brittle. I've also used the 3 piece end caps and was very happy with them, for the few dollars more I would get the german endcaps.

Thanks for the reply. Actually, the rubber endcaps were more expensive. I don't want to have to replace all 4 pairs of endcaps every time I change my bulb, though. I'm glad you mentioned this.

Icecap, unless I am mistaken, will not warranty a ballast that was used with the rubber caps. I guess there is no way they would know what you used, but I think they must have a good reason for it. I have used the German 3 piece endcaps and the Icecap 2 piece caps. Either, IMO, will do a fine job.

Back
Top Bottom