Filtration question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kgriffith

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, I wanted to get your opinion I posted in the other forum about a water cloudiness problem I am having and I am attempting to clear it up. One of my thoughts long term is to get rid of the bio balls in my sump. Please tell me what you think of this:
Remove bio-balls from sump over time.
Remove egg crate that supports bio balls.
Raise water level in the wet dry.
Fill with live rock rubble.

On a separate 10g tank I Am going to put in bulkhead towards the top and use a small pump to pull water from the sump area into the 10 refugium with dsb and chaeto that will overflow back into the sump when it reaches the top.

My skimmer pump sits in the sump area as does my return pump. What do you think about this setup? The only concern I have is how well that setup will deal with nitrates during the transition as I have a good size bio load.

What you described is very similar to how my tank is set up. The only differences is I have 4 drain lines on my system so one of them is dedicated to the fuge and I use a 20g tall for my fuge rather then a 10. What you are planning will work very well and the increase in water volume will help.

Back
Top Bottom