Finally, ammonia drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The ammonia finally dropped overnight in my 75g start-up. We're in our fourth week.

Ammonia came down overnight from the 4 to 8 range to 0.5 to 1.0 range. Yeah, its not gone, but that's a huge relief after seeing it at 20 or so for a week straight. I cut the sample for testing with 50% tap water, than 80% tap water to interpolate tank water values. Sure, rough guesses, but the tester only went to 8.0, so I couldn't guage how high it really was after that. I'd say it went well over 20ppm for about 5 straight days.

Nitrites started taking off a few days ago, it used to take several minutes for the color in the tubes to get to 1 or 2, now its instantly at the peak reading, 5.0. I might do the trick again with splitting the sample with tap water (which reads 0 nitrites), to get a feel for the overall curve of the cycle.

Nitrates are still low, between 10 and 20ppm.

Hopefully the nitrite cycle won't take as long to get moving, I think my damsels are getting tired of the 10g they're in.

PS - used both Cycle, and Biozyme, at different points over the last 3 weeks, with no results whatsoever. Not sure how they can sell that stuff.

Scoot said:
PS - used both Cycle, and Biozyme, at different points over the last 3 weeks, with no results whatsoever. Not sure how they can sell that stuff.
If you think about it there isn’t an nh3 source to keep the bacteria going and usually it’s sealed up in an air tight container. Is it any wonder that those “instant bacteria colony” products do not work when bacteria need oxygen and ammonia to be kept alive?

Glad you are on your way to a completely cycled tank :D Should only be another week or two now.

Sounds like you are on your way. Thanks for putting the damsels in another tank. It shows you care.

First sign of stress I was running out to Walmart for a 10g tank.

I'm a bit of an animal lover - 2 dogs (a saint and a german shepherd), 2 cats, 5 fish, 4 kids (lol, threw that in there!), and a horse back on my folks' farm which sadly, just recently passed at the ripe old age of 29.

Back
Top Bottom