Finally filling tank - quick question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saberry

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, I am finally ready to add the water. I've got my hydrometer, salt mix and a whole lot of R/O water. The problem is, I don't know how much salt to add per gallon to get to the correct salinity (1.021 right?).

Could someone give me just a ballpark amount that will get me close enough to begin tweaking so that I don't have to check over and over again.

TIA.

it should say on the salt tub how much to add, on average. they hydrometer's the only real way...and keep in mind it's calibrated for something like 65 degrees, so you have to adjust (should be able to find a formula easily enough)

saberry said:
The problem is, I don't know how much salt to add per gallon to get to the correct salinity (1.021 right?).
Start with about 1 cup per gallon and adjust accordingly after it's mixed for an hour or so with a powerhead and heater. Once the temp is up to approx 80° target an SG or 1.024-25 (35ppt). An SG of 1.021 is too low.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
saberry said:
The problem is, I don't know how much salt to add per gallon to get to the correct salinity (1.021 right?).
Start with about 1 cup per gallon and adjust accordingly after it's mixed for an hour or so with a powerhead and heater. Once the temp is up to approx 80° target an SG or 1.024-25 (35ppt). An SG of 1.021 is too low.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks, is 1.021 too low for fish only?

saberry said:
1.021 is too low for anything. Lower salinities as a permanent living environment can negatively affect the health of the fish eventually. If you are doing this for the control of parasites, don't. It does absolutely no good.

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
saberry said:
1.021 is too low for anything. Lower salinities as a permanent living environment can negatively affect the health of the fish eventually. If you are doing this for the control of parasites, don't. It does absolutely no good.

Cheers
Steve

1.024 it is. Thanks.

Is there any particular reason an aquarium needs a higher SG? Isn't NSW closer to 1.021 than 1.025?

malkore said:
it should say on the salt tub how much to add, on average. they hydrometer's the only real way...and keep in mind it's calibrated for something like 65 degrees, so you have to adjust (should be able to find a formula easily enough)

Actually it does not give an amount on the bucket. It is the Kent brand. The Oceanic, IO both say 1/2 cup per gallon. The Red Sea brand was something like 1/4 lb. per gallon - who wants to weigh :?:

The Kent that I had, came with the aquarium from the previous owner. Unfortunatley, there was not enough to finish the job so I picked up some IO. I'm up to 1.019 now. I'm going to wait an hour or so to make sure it is well dissolved before adding any more.

Atari said:
Is there any particular reason an aquarium needs a higher SG? Isn't NSW closer to 1.021 than 1.025?

I don't know, but I'd love an explanation as well since what I had read indicated a 1.021-1.022 was ideal.

However, since I was pressed for time and since every bit of advice I have been given or read by steve-s so far has been right on the money, so I'm going going to trust his recommendation.

I know my books say 1.024 to 1.026, depending on whether you have FOWLR or full reef w/inverts.

my instant ocean says 1/2cup per gallon should get me to 1.024 if using R/O.

Atari said:
SG is temperature dependant so it really depends on where but no animal we will generally keep will come from those kinds of waters. Reef invertebrates and most fish will come from a 34-37 ppt salinity. In the case of fish, permanently housed at low levels will lead to kidney damage.

Cheers
Steve

malkore said:
my instant ocean says 1/2cup per gallon should get me to 1.024 if using R/O.
Actually that's more correct, I was way off. I marked off a tupperware bowl ages ago and forgot the measure. It was 3 cups salt for 5 gal of water, I just remeasured the marking.

Cheers
Steve

Older books and some fish stores advocate .019 to .020 as it makes less stressful for the fish. This idea has pretty much been shot down on all fronts as not benefitting the fish and generally doing more harm than good. Shoot for around .023 to .026.

i just when to the lfs and found a cup. and you take one of thes cups to 4 gal of water will give you 1.023 sg. it is really nice so all i have to do is guess at how many gal of watre i have in the tub i use to mix and then add that much salt and check back in a few hours and add a little more.

Back
Top Bottom