First dive into the salty side!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, so I am probably going to take my first plunge into the salty side! For years
(5) I have been keeping freshwater tanks, and I want to plunge Into the salty side before I go to college
I plan on making a 29 gallon
Sorry, but I am not very acknowledged in saltwater whatsoever, so please, take it easy!
This is what I would like to stock it with
2 clownfish
1 banggai cardinal fish
1 fire fish
1 goby
2-3 cleaner shrimp
Some hermit crabs
Some snails
Is that too much?( sorry, I don't know) :(
And I also have some questions
How do I even start it?!
What substrate?
What machines?(filter, heater, other things?)
what lighting?
I want to make it a reef
And how much does the lighting cost?
Sorry for all the questions
Thanks!

For lighting I would go with LEDs. Reef breeder brand are fairly cheap compared to others. Or if you have a huge budget, the ecotech marine radions are for you. Substrate it would be aragonite based. Check out bulk reef supply for that. Filter wise would you want a sump?? If not, an aqua clear is good, use the sponge and buy chemi pure.

Also you would want live rock which is at most lfs. It's usually 4-5$ a lb. you would want 25-35 lbs.

Yes the reef breeders value fixture or photon will grow almost all. Others will help with their recommendations. I think some use marine land. Also check out drs. Foster and smith for lights too.

I think you could do that stock you listed.

You will want an aragonite based sand, 20-30 lbs.

What equipment do you currently have?

For reef lighting I recommend led. you can get one panel for $130 and grow any coral you want.

Lol just saw all fish posts. The reef breeders are the ones on eBay I mentioned. They're dim able as well which is nice.

Ok so stock, sounds great
Now this is what I think I need
Tank of course
That coral light for $135( yikes!)
Aragonite based substrate,- 30 pounds
Now here are some questions
Can I use a freshwater heater?
And a freshwater HOB filter?
What's a protein skimmer, do I need one?
What about live rock?

I would say no protein skimmer but it is always a plus. Lr is at your lfs and u would need 30 lbs. yes on heater. Yes on filter just get new media. I posted earlier about media.

Ok, so 30 gallon filter, 30 pounds of live rock, gotcha
Thanks for the help! I will come up with a list of what I have and will post it!
There is a LFS that looks pretty reliable, I will ask them for prices and such
Thanks!
Also, how do I make the water salty, I don't suppose I get my table salt and add it to the water
And how do I know how much to add?

No problem. Looking forward to seeing this tank up and running.

This is what I have for now
29 gallon tank/ hood combo
Live sand-30 pounds
Live rock-30 pounds
30 gallon HOB filter
Heater
Coral light

You need to use ro/di water as well. You can usually buy it at your lfs or get a unit and make your own (cost effective). You can also use base rock over live rock, which is much cheaper. You'll still want a little live rock to seed the tank. You will also need powerheads. Koralias are great and fairly cheap

Ok so, I would rather make my water if it is more cost efficient
And how do I hook up a power head

They are magnets. One side is on the inside, one on the outside of the glass. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398128639.856492.jpg

Oh Jesus Christ, ok
So do you guys think that without the fish, I will make it with $300 bucks?

Back
Top Bottom