Freshwater to Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I am newish, the past couple of months, just finished cycling two tanks the past month. One a 65g that is stocked and another 30g that is not stocked. Both are freshwater but I'm wondering if I could switch the 30g to saltwater easily or if starting over makes more sense......and what would be needed. Any thoughts?

BGK21 said:
Hi all,
I am newish, the past couple of months, just finished cycling two tanks the past month. One a 65g that is stocked and another 30g that is not stocked. Both are freshwater but I'm wondering if I could switch the 30g to saltwater easily or if starting over makes more sense......and what would be needed. Any thoughts?

Well how bout some info on the 30g setup?Whats in the tank as far as substrate? Also are you wanting to do a fish only with live rock or reef?

Either way the BB colony that you've established will not live in SW so you will have to start over when it comes to your cycle

Fair enough and good to know. I currently have black sand in there and need to research some before deciding. I like the fish more and better options. I its a 30g xhigh tank. I have two filters and corallife t5HO lighting.

You could run that as a saltwater tank as is with a heater and some live rock but it would be a bare minimum and wouldn't be able to handle corals.

What would I need for corals? I have the heater as well. Its skull and bones now but need to research how and what is needed.

If you want to do corals you'll need to upgrade the lighting probably get some circulation pumps a skimmer is always good and a reef test kit to check for calcium alkalinity and magnesium. A sump/fuge will make life a whole lot easier too and hide a lot of equipment for a cleaner look. Really the list could go on forever for extras and small things so if you wanna go that route open up a build thread and people will help you along the way step by step :)

Advice given so far is solid. Fish selection for a 30g is a bit limited to pretty much nano fish. 5 small fish will probably be max just so your aware. Stocking saltwater tanks can be a bit tricky and limiting with smaller tanks.

And yes you would need to recycle the tank with saltwater. Also most fish only only tanks are fish only with live rock which i highly recommend. Live rock is a very good biological filter, plus the life you get with live rock. About 1 lb per gallon os recommended so in your case roughly 30 lbs.

Thanks for the advice. I am testing the waters here with a plan to upgrade to a large tank (150+) if it goes well. So I know it will only be a couple of smaller species and a FOWLR is what I am looking at.

Back
Top Bottom