Future Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcdudley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Next Tank

Hello, New to this forum, but I have been keeping Freshwater fish for many years. I tried a 29 gallon Salt tank fish only a couple years ago and failed miserably. I have decided to try again, but I am going to do it right this time (I hope). I will not be setting up my tank for at least a year (waiting to move to a new house), so I have lots of time to prepare.

I was thinking in the time I have, I would like to make my own LR out of concrete and grow the stuff on it inside a couple 45 Gallon Trash cans in my garage. Is this going to be possible?

My thoughts for the actual setup will something like this:

The tank will be in the 100G to 250G range, depending on several things. I will have 3 of the large Rubbermaid Brute Trashcans in the garage to act as my filter. The tank will drain into these through 2" pvc pipe. The first will contain mechanical filtration as well as a large skimmer (most likely homemade). The second can will contain live rock. The third will contain some Chaeto and possibly some live sand if needed. All 3 will be heated and I will have a chiller on the last bin for when needed. The return line going back to the tank will be insulated.

So back to my original question, what do I need to do to get my rock started. I would rather not keep any fish in there for now. I read several articles about how to build the concrete rocks and "cook" them. I know that will take several months for all the toxins to leech out with frequent water changes. Once I think the rocks are ready, how do I start seeding them. Do I just toss in some Fiji LR and let it go for 9 months. What do I need to feed it (pure ammonia)? What about lighting? Ideally, this will be a fully functional filtering system by the time I am ready to put in the tank. I am also thinking about farming some corals in a smaller tank that will be connected to the 3 bins as well.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom