Getting back in - 40 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're probably close to being done with your plumbing, but I came across this video that you might find handy:

I appreciate the help, but I actually just got the tank in place and got it almost half full!
IMG_2133.JPG
Just waiting on the overflow box to get here hopefully Tuesday and the more live rock and sand this weekend.

How long do I need to wait for silicone to dry? And what part of my sump does the heater go in? I'm getting nervous to fill this tank up, what if it doesn't work, i've never had a sump before, i'm really worried i did it wrong for some reason...

How long do I need to wait for silicone to dry?

I'd give it 72 hours, but I tend to be on the cautious side.

And what part of my sump does the heater go in? I'm getting nervous to fill this tank up, what if it doesn't work, i've never had a sump before, i'm really worried i did it wrong for some reason...

I think the heater placement is flexible, but I'd put it in the chamber just before the return chamber. When you fill it, wait 24-48 hours to see if there are any leaks. If there are, you'll have to drain it and reseal that portion.

But I bet you did fine. ;)
Save
Save

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, filled it up the rest of the way today! Doesn't seem to be any leaks with any of the pipes which I am so thankful for!
The drains into the sump are super loud though, going to pickup some other fittings so i can extend the pipe further into the sump to hopefully quiet the water noise.
The only concern I have is that there is very little pressure / flow coming from my return. I do have a split locline in there, maybe it should be reduced to a single line? Or a more powerful pump? The pump seems to keep up fine there just doesnt seem to be much movement in the tank from the return.

What kind of light is best to be able to see inside the stand? Also what kind of light do I need for the fuge?

From a spiral bulb and up will grow algae in a fuge. That said, the better the light the better the algae growth.
When it comes to seeing inside of the stand, I have seen tons of the tape on battery powered lights that you can push for them to come on or even additional clip on work lights which are great when lighting the fuge.

Tank has been filled up a few days now, running fine until sunday evening i noticed some moisture inside the bottom black frame piece. Cleaned it up and siliconed the bulkhead that i found had a tiny leak. Thought everything was alright but now keep finding salt creep and a little moisture around the bottom black frame every morning and evening. Im not really sure what to do, there is no other obvious place that it is leaking, and everything inside the stand is dry where it should be. Do i need a new tank??

Should i silicone around all of them? The first one i could actually see the water running down the outside of the tank. This time i dont see a leak anywherr

Okok what am i doing wrong?! I've never used a skimmer before and when i plug this one in it brings water inside and then overflows out the top! There is no name or anything that i can see either so i cant look anything up online

Tank update: had an issue with my overflow being really loud, turns out i had the drains turned the wrong way. Got those flipped around and now everything is super quiet!
Still trying to figure out this skimmer. I have no idea how it works.
But i think im ready to start cycling! I only have base rock because i didnt want any of the hitchhiker pests that live rock can bring. So would cycling with the shrimp still be ok? I was thinking maybe i could put some live rock in the sump, would that help at all?

Back
Top Bottom