GreenAlgae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Base is LR that has been dried out and will become live over time.
2. Only if you add uncured LR (or LR that has been shipped), rinse base rock and simply add to the tank. More LR will be beneficial to your bioload.
3. To me, fake stuff is something else to clean and you can run the risk of them having chemicals.
4. The order doesn't matter, start with a small clean up crew (you can always add more later). Personally, I would add the clown and then the CUC.

Here is some base rock:
Marco Rocks The finest aquarium rock available, base rock, live rock, reef rock, marco rock, reef tank saltwater fish, live corals, Marco rocks, Fiji live rock, Tonga Live rock

Last edited:
Thanks roka. I'll look into the base rock idea this weekend. Maybe I'll just wait on the clownfish hopefully next week before I add any clean-up crew.
Incidentally, the algae continues to disappear! The advice to blackout my tank was spot on!

hi.
you need some sort of place to hold the beneficial bacteria that will sustain the livestock you will be keeping in this tank. this is the function of live rock. live rock, generally porous, holds bacteria on it's surface, and in the pores, which help to process the nutrients you and your fish will be adding to the tank.

you might try checking the local craigslist and other local bulletin boards for people breaking down their tanks(there are always a few), and buy some rock from them. generally, they sell it at a decent discount.
i have heard that in NY, lr is pricey..but only an hour and a half away or so from you there is a large reef store that sells live rock for 2.79 a pound(uncured).
it's a decent drive, but i think it's worth the trip to check out the store.
pm me if you need the address.

I added some more LR to my tank, but it's still scant at about 11 lbs total in my 20 gallon. I think I'm going to stay there for a while. It's just too expensive and a new HDTV is calling my name at the electornics store ;)
I'll let it sit for at least a week or more and then add a fish when the parameters look good. All this waiting is killing me!

Back
Top Bottom