H. histrio Sagassum Fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Micco28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking to start up a species specific tank with a Sargassum Fish (Histrio histrio) :fish2: and I was wondering what would be required to care for it?

I was thinking a 35 gal tank (most sites say 30+ but others say 50+) with a cover (they can flip/jump out of the water) and a protein skimmer and some live rock. I was thinking of starfish for a clean up crew.

I am willing to feed live foods

Please say if i missed anything that it would need to care for it. Thanks :thanks:

Attachments

• Sargassum Fish.jpg
    Sargassum Fish.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 105
These guys are super awesome but are very cryptic. A tank with loads of macroalgae is what is shoot for to make it feel at home. Be aware you aren't gonna see him that much. Starfish aren't really cuc and some are very difficult to keep alive. I'd stick to snails for a cuc

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

These guys are super awesome but are very cryptic. A tank with loads of macroalgae is what is shoot for to make it feel at home. Be aware you aren't gonna see him that much. Starfish aren't really cuc and some are very difficult to keep alive. I'd stick to snails for a cuc

Thank you for the advice :) I was also considering snails but I've always wanted a starfish or two. I like the idea of a fish that can blend in well and hide. Do you have a suggestion on macro algae?

Gracillaria and caluerpa come to mind to kinda mimic kelp.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Do you/anyone know if any thing else will be needed filtration wise?

Would I need a filter, protein skimmer, and a power head?

You could probably just do the skimmer, powerheads and live rock a your filtration.

Back
Top Bottom