Heater for a newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlips12

Aquarium Advice Activist
With winter upon us I think I need to break down and get a heater for my 55 gal corner tank. What brand is both reliable and affordable? I think all I need is a 90 watt heater.

They dont make 90 watt heaters but they do make 100watt ones.

I like Ebojagger brand.

I don't think a 100w heater would be enough for a 55 gallon tank. I would go up to a 150w - 200w.

Very true Biggen, thanks for noticing that. FWIW, I would definitely get 2 smaller heaters over 1 'larger' one.

The only reason I did not suggest a larger heater was I see the member is from San Jose ,CA. I belive thats in southern CA so the number of degrees that the tank needs to be rased above room temp might not be very much.

The only reason I did not suggest a larger heater was I see the member is from San Jose ,CA.

Technically, his question was about what brands are reliable and affordable, which you answered perfectly. I, and Reeflady, where just backing you up with some additional info.

:mrgreen:

As someone who is just recovering from a 100watt backup heater failure over the labour day weekend that toasted my tank. Don't even know why it came on, was not cold and the main 150watt heater was off.

All I can say is with heaters buy quality, the ebo-jagars and Won Pro Titanium's are not that much more then the cheep & commnon brands but they are much less likely to fail by sticking on.

Thanks all for your concern I did go with the Ebo-Jager at 150 for my 55 gal (10 gal sump).

FYI San Jose is in the "Bay Area" as they call it ,which means San Francisco Bay. Temps up here actually get quite a bit colder than Southern Cal due primarily to the cooling effects of the bay. We actually have to turn the heater on in the winter :lol:

But nothing peterp that you must experience in the great white north.

Yea, and this is starting out to be a bad year, only October and temp has fallen below freezing , had first frost, bit of snow and hale today.
Going to have to rush this weekend and bring in my pond fish early this year :roll: .

Good thing it is election time, not voting for any gov that bought this crappy weather. :D

I have a 55gallon as well... just setting it up, my first tank. I live in Hanover, NH... very cold. 300W heater my best bet?

thanks

Actually a 200 and a 150 are my choice for the 100 gal. Gives backup in case one dosen't heat. 300 watts may be overkill for a 55 gal. If your house is kept heated into the 70's maybe 2 - 100's would be enough.
It all depends on how much you want to raise the water temp over your normal room temp. There is/was a formula for working out the required heater size but I am drawing a blank.

Back
Top Bottom