help setting up 20 gallon long reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malawicichlidlover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon long tank with cover that I want to turn into a saltwater tank. I have never had a saltwater but have kept numerous freshwater tanks for years. What kind of filter and light do I need. Will a hob filter work. I'm looking to just get a setup going with no fish just live rock and other things for now. I want to take it slow and do everything right. Thank you to everyone for all help and advice in advance. I am ecsited to get started on this tank. :)

A filter rated double your tank volume. Aquaclear is a great brand and you can put bags of GFO and carbon in there. You can turn an AC 110 into a little refugium. Any light will do if you're not going to have coral. If you are, T5 HO, LEDs, PC lights work. Depends on what coral you want and what your budget is.

K perfect I have a whisper hob that filter up to a 40 gal and a aqua clear that filters up to a 30 gal I also have to lights for the tank. Is my two light sufficient enough for live rock. I want to upgrade to coral later on once I get my tank established. Is this enough light for some kind of shrimp like peperment shrimp or something.

Excellent! You don't need lighting for just rock. What type of lights are they and what brand? T8? If you don't know, posting a pic would help. Yes, any light will be okay for inverts like shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. It's just to indicate that it's daytime. Most inverts are nocturnal anyway, but most fish will hide at night until the light comes on. Corals however, and some inverts like anemones, rely on the light to survive.

K Idk what brand they are and I'm at work at the moment. I know they are both floresent though. They both go the length of the tank also. I can post pics tomorrow when I get home.

You could just buy fresh bulbs that are appropriate for saltwater tanks. One 10000K daylight and one blue would be the normal combination. Even if it's only a normal T8 fixture it'll be fine for live rock and even a few very low light corals like polyps and mushrooms. I've even grown toadstool leathers under 2 T8 lights. Once you get the hang of it and have the basic equipment to maintain a saltwater tank you can upgrade the lights if you want to.

I'd really recommend getting a Reverse Osmosis or RO filter as the most important first purchase for a successful saltwater tank. That is unless you have a store close buy where you can buy good RO water. They make keeping a tank way easier but for a 20 gallon you can easily just but water. Just don't use tap. A refractometer is great to have for testing the salt levels but a glass hydrometer is passable.

Since we're talking about other equipment don't forget to get test kit(s) and a powerhead(optional and not needed if no coral).

Back
Top Bottom