Hi, I'm new to Salt Water and would love your two cents...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SquanGirl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone! I'm so happy to find your site and I welcome any and all advice you have for me. As of today I do not own a tank or fish. I do however own a "guide to mini reef" book and I am reading it and taking notes. I thought it would be a good time to get on the world-wide-web and seak out the advice of all you experts.

Here is what I am thinking:
  • Never owned a tank, so start small like 34g
  • I recently visited a store that has this "Red Sea Aquarium, 34g" that has everything already built in. They coin it as "Plug and Play" I think this is the way to go? (your advice is welcomed here)
  • I have read enough to know this is a slow process and I am willing to invest the time needed to build up my live sand, rock/corals and then eventually fish...

So my whole family is trying to scare me away from going down this road...
  1. What is your advice on 34 gallon plug & play set up?
  2. Do you know about the Red Sea Brand?
  3. Any suggested books to read?

Thanks,
SquanGirl

Firstly, welcome.
Secondly...listen to these guys on here, they know their stuff!!

Read, read, read and research everything before you buy it or take any steps.
Make sure you understand how to cycle your tank.
Plan ahead for your ultimate goal...what would you like in your tank?
If your LFS gives you any advice, say thank you, come home, and check on here before believing it.

What do you get in the plug and play? I got a semi plug and play and ended up replacing a lot of the things that came as part of the package because it wasn't good enough quality.
eg. the lights weren't suitable for keeping the corals i wanted. the filter is not needed once your tank is cycled as your LR becomes the filter so i got rid of this and replaced it with a new powerhead to create flow.

Salt mixes are salt mixes. I think you should find one you like and stick with it. You get what you pay for, with all things, so buy the best quality you can.

Patience is what you need and will slowly drive you insane...but it's worth it in the end.

Im still very new to all this too and you will get much better advice than this however hopefully this will start you off.
Good luck,
Andrea

Thanks for the fast reply

Andrea,

Thanks for responding so quickly too me. I don't know exactly what you get in the plug & play. I know lights and filter but not the detaills.

My husband and I are going to the store I saw it in and get more details. I will let you know.

Thanks!
SquanGirl

a b, has given you lots of great information. Get a plan as to what you want, read, make a list of the animals you want. Do you want FOWLR , Fish only with LR (live rock) or a reef setup. Check out the store and take notes come back here and we'll check it out for you and above all have fun!

You have received some great info so far. Definitely read, read, and read some more! You will find alot of info on this site (check out the articles) and even posts made about starting tanks.

Cycle your salt tank

Other places to read are:

Develop a Successful Reefkeeping Strategy by Doug Wojtczak - Reefkeeping.com
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 1: The Salt Water Itself by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

That place is a good resource. :) But those 3 articles are definitely good ones to go over, plus the article from here about cycling.

Do a search on the site for "new saltwater" and read through some threads when you have a chance. You can never research too much IME.

Just got back from the store and I'm so excited to read your posts. The really good news is I sold my husband on it! We are 99% sure we are going with the "Red Max 34g Tank". Here is the description on the website and they claim they are a plug & play. the store said this is the easiest way to start as it comes w/everything (lighting, heater, filter, etc) and a good learning tank.

00_26_130.gif
00_19.gif
00_11_130.gif

The Red Sea MAX is a 130 liter, fully featured, plug-and-play reef aquarium designed to make reefkeeping easier, more fun and more successful. Contained within its elegant 8 mm, rounded-corner glass tank is all the technology and components you need to grow and maintain a healthy reef at home, allowing you to focus on the joy and beauty of the hobby rather than on the equipment.
With the MAX you bypass the tricky business of component selecting and installation and get straight down to the fun parts – aquascaping your aquarium, choosing your livestock and growing the reef of your dreams.
Optimal lighting, filtration, temperature and circulation recreate the conditions that delicate reef inhabitant saltwater fish, corals and invertebrates need in order to thrive and ensures you long-term sustainability and success.

It about $829 for the system. They said about 34 pounds of rock I would need, add the live sand and then let it cycle like all of you have suggested. After a few days of cycling then I can add corals and maybe one fish to see how the water is!

What are you thoughts on this ALL IN ONE UNIT?

ok, so I have more details on what's included in this tank for $829. I estimate the rock will cost $250 and LIVE sand $100.

Enhanced features of the Red Sea MAX 130D include:
  • Increased performance protein skimmer
  • New Surface skimmer overflow box
  • Full 3 stage hood opening
  • Higher PAR Lighting
  • Deeper trim
  • Filter water level indicator
  • Cooling fan supplied as standard
A question I have is do I always buy the STORE MIXED SALT WATER or do folks do something different (cheaper). the store said they mix five gallon jugs for about $1 a gallon. I am thinking with a 34g tank, I need to change 10% of the water a week til its stablizes? Then I go to Monthly?

Make sure you get a test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH, KH, and even phosphates will be good. You'll want to test the water for atleast several days after you set it up with the live rock and sand...maybe even a week. Only when your tests are normal (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0-minimal nitrates) do you want to add fish. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master saltwater test kit is a good on that includes the first 4 things I listed. You'll have to get the KH and phophate kits separate.

That sounds like alot of money for a 34g tank, but I know that alot of stuff is included. Do you know how many watts of light it comes with? It would be nice to know since you will have to base your coral choices by the lighting.

It is good to change out about 10% weekly all the time. That's what we suggest. You'll have a build up of nitrates if you only change monthly.

It is up to you whether to buy the already mixed water or not. I personally mix my own...you can buy salt mixes at the lfs or online and then mix the water up in a 5g bucket with a heater and a powerhead atleast overnight.

I would suggest anywhere from 34-68lbs of live rock (1-2lbs per gallon).

Last edited:
You will also need a refractometer to check the salinity of your water. Don't waste your money on a Hydrometer because you will buy a refractometer in the end anyway.
Also save yourself $100 and just buy dry aragonite sand. It will become live by the end of your cycle anyway or soon there after.

The lighting system is 2x 22w 50/50 10,000k & Actinic T5 Power compact lamps plus two LED moonlights. They also say Electronic Ballast and fan cooled hood.

How do you know how many watts are good for how much coral?

I have heard poor things about the BioCube. Yes cheaper but I hear you get what you pay for.

Have you heard good things about this product?

well, this is just my opinion, but what are you getting with the red sea tank that makes it worth over $800? In all reality, you can piece together a much better system for way less than you'll spend on that. I've not heard anything bad about the biocubes, there are a couple people on here who have them and love them. With the red sea tank, you're getting less light with a bigger tank (compared to the 29g biocube), which generally means less options for corals. Its your money, and you're the one who is going to be looking at it all the time, its just hard for me to see you spend that kind of money on that tank. I dont have that much money in all of my tanks combined (150g, 55g, two 10g's, all fw, but equipment is equipment) so I would never buy that tank, or the biocube, there's just not enough options to upgrade things like you can with stand alone tanks and accessories, especially for the price

THe reason why I was seriously considering the plug and play tank is I really don't know what to buy if I just buy a tank. This tank seams easy and I'm sure once you add up lighting, filters, tank, etc its gotta add up to what I'm spending plus a premium since its all in one? I think for someone like yourself who knows how to piece together a successful tank, buying a la cart will work but someone like me who is just at the beginning stages I would feel more confident with an all-in-one.

$800 is a huge steep. i payed around $400 for my system all together, filter,tank,LR, test kits, salt, sand, heater, etc...and over the course of a month an additional $200 in upgrades and 1 fish, and a few small beginner corals. and only 2x 22w lights is a pretty low for a 39g. i think you want 3 watts per gallon i believe.

Wow that lighting seams off then? 3 watts per gallon would be (34x3=102 watts). Is this correct? Are you sure the lighting seams low as I am confused by anyone would sell a product w/three times less needed lighting?

You will not want to put coral in that tank for about 3 months I'm thinking. If you move too fast you'll throw away money and not enjoy this experience. The tank will have to cycle, then some adjusting and tweaking or a few weeks, and then diatoms will appear that cover everything and you'll think its the ugliest tank in the world. Then maybe a bit more experience and time to settle and learn to maintain the water quality and stability.

Now, that all took about 3 months. :) Then, you can put coral in it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom