How often do you feed a lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used freeze-dried krill one Monday Wednesday and Friday. One piece only.

You should look up more info on them. I'm thinking live fish isn't good since the kind of live fihs you can get for them isn't something normally found in a reef. Krill or other meaty foods. Google fish food blender mush. Don't rely on the live food.

Freeze dried is prolly one of the best ways. Like I said I used krill and he did fine. Just make sure the piece isn't to big.

They will eat pellets. Second best option is large frozen foods like mussells and shrimp. I wouldn't do freeze-dried, frozen is more nutritious. You can even use stuff from the seafood section at the grocery store. The problem with any whole food like that (live, freeze-dried, or frozen) is that it is not a complete and balanced diet. Try to get them on pellets, keep trying if they don't take to it right away.

I don't know if this makes a difference but it's a Fu Manchu Lionfish

I agree. Try to get them on a good pellet food. My newest edition to my big fowler eats pellets from new life. It took me the whole month of quarantine to get him to take them but now he is fine. It is a radiata Lionfish. It took time and patience. And only reason I used freeze-dried was our LFS closed down for remodel and it was all I could get local. Bc I don't like paying shipping.

IME on AA everyone says something different. I feed my fish once a day three times a week. Monday Wednesday and Friday. My wife feeds her fish once a day. We only feed what they can eat in about 2 mins max. But everyone has their way.

I have 2 lions now and they are doing just fine. So any questions just PM me. They are my favorite fish and love mine. Keep me posted please.

NLS, deifnitely.

Lions are adapted to eat large meals on an irregular basis. So adults should be fed something like once or twice a week (more often if there are small fish in the tank they may go after if they get hungry). But like oscars they should be fed frequently while young and still growing. A small lion could be fed 2-3/day, as it gets older this goes down to once a day, once every other day, etc.

Back
Top Bottom