How often do you water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 50 gallon tank with approximately 10 th 12 gallon sump. I have been doing 12 to 17 gallon water change each week. I was wondering what is the norm. My coworkers son does aquarium maintenance and he is doing water changes once a month. I thought maybe that is to long to go.
My tank loos nice, it is getting expensive buying water at the lfs. I'm considering buying a ro/di unit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Weekly water changes will keep unwanted levels lower and wanted levels higher in the long run. Just buy a ro/di unit to save you money in the long run. BRS sells some really nice units.

I heard that when you use ro/di water you loose 2 gallons of waste water to make 1 gallon. Is this true a lfs told me this. Not to sure if it was the truth. Also how much time in advance can I make my saltwater, will it go bad if I have it made a week in advance?

A rodi unit has a resin unit that works by forcing water through it, leaving only the H20 part, and creating "waste water" with the other stuff. the older the unit, and the more clogged the rodi gets, the more waste water is produced. Additionally, the more inefficient a unit is, the more waste water is produced. A really good unit usually has a 1 to 4 ratio, and BRS as a little add on that run the waste water back through a r/o unit to give you back some of what you loose, maybe bringing it close to a 2/3 ratio.

Close:

The resin in the DI is not where the waste is made. That happens in the membrane of the reverse osmosis unit. The more waste water you produce, the longer the membrane will last as it is being flushed better. If your not on any water metering restrictions most RO units do recommend a 3:1 waste water ratio. By piping that waste thru a second RO unit you can double your efficiency (3:2).
However, most RO units also come with a valve for regulating (and flushing) the waste and can get as efficient as 1:1. However that will shorten the life of the membrane unless frequent flushing is done.
I run mine about 3-4:1 as I don't pay for water. Waste water feeds into a garden watering distribution net.

Close:

The resin in the DI is not where the waste is made. That happens in the membrane of the reverse osmosis unit. The more waste water you produce, the longer the membrane will last as it is being flushed better. If your not on any water metering restrictions most RO units do recommend a 3:1 waste water ratio. By piping that waste thru a second RO unit you can double your efficiency (3:2).
However, most RO units also come with a valve for regulating (and flushing) the waste and can get as efficient as 1:1. However that will shorten the life of the membrane unless frequent flushing is done.
I run mine about 3-4:1 as I don't pay for water. Waste water feeds into a garden watering distribution net.

And there you have it. I love forums for exactly this reason, if you're not quite sure the answer will arrive in time. Only thing better is reddit. Over there you get your answer and 600 different stories and maybe a really terrible water color

Thank you for all the information. I'm definitely going to put a ro/di unit on my list to get. I called the water department today and asked how much is a gallon of water. She said for example 748 gallons of water would cost me $1.38. Wow I see how buying a unit would pay for itself. I'm going to check out BRS. I love this forum.

I tested my water last night.
Alkaline 6.0.
Mag 1200
Calcium 400.
I don't understand why my parameters are so low. I did a large water change last Friday 5 days ago 20 gallons. I do weekly wc should I be dosing in between wc.
I have in my tank
2 clownfish
2 green chromis
1 six line wrass
1 yellow head goby
Hermit crabs, snails
1 cleaner shrimp.
2 zoas
1 trumpet coral
1 kenna tree
1 xenia
1 flower polyp soft coral. I don't know it's name.
No hard corals.
I will be doing another wc this weekend.

Oh yea I left out
1 Condy anemone.
I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thank you

I use my waste water to, go out and water the yard. I have heard of people that run the waste water into the washing machine to wash clothes with. There are many ways to salvage that water.

My african tank once a week, community tank biweekly

Chris
Sent from my iPhone
???

I tested my water last night.
Alkaline 6.0.
Mag 1200
Calcium 400.
I don't understand why my parameters are so low. I did a large water change last Friday 5 days ago 20 gallons. I do weekly wc should I be dosing in between wc.
Weekly, to remove waste and replace trace elements. To the OP: The calcium level is fine. What salt mix are you using?

I buy it from my lfs. It's aqua vitro salinity. Have you ever heard of this brand.

I've used it. I still use the bucket because it seals nicely and easily but for other salts. I would recommend mixing the dry salt very well before using it as the way they put the salt and chems into the bucket does not promote an even mix. Roll it a bunch of times before your next use.
If that doesn't work I would question the scale your using. Are you sure it's dKH and not Meq/l?
Finally, if that still doesn't solve your issues, dosing magnesium may help prevent calcium carbonate from forming and precipitation gout of solution. That would raise alk and calc.

Back
Top Bottom