How to make Chaeto in a "ball?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Chaeto is a mess, flowing into the pump area, sticking to my pump sponge filter & skimmer filter... Should I put a rubber band around the Chaeto to contain it?? Or is there something else I could do?? People talk about their "Chaeto ball."

I could put my sponge filter back in my bubble trap but I don't want to be cleaning that constantly too. My pump is touchy & when the levels get low due to blockage, it spits air into the DT. I just think there's a better way & I shouldn't be having to clean all the filters daily to keep the pump running.

I would probably tie it into a ball using fishing line. You could even tie one end of the fishing line to something in the tank to keep it away from the water pump.

I would probably tie it into a ball using fishing line. You could even tie one end of the fishing line to something in the tank to keep it away from the water pump.

Thanks! I'll try that. It's the loose pieces that end up on the pump filter and escapes up & out thru the bubble trap. The glob itself doesn't get near the pump. I'm guessing if it's tied together that'll get less & less.

What lighting are you using to grow it? It really shouldn't be breaking up without some outside stimulus.

What lighting are you using to grow it? It really shouldn't be breaking up without some outside stimulus.

I've converted my sump to refugium by removing the bio balls & putting live rock & Chaeto in there. It may be getting tossed around quite a bit b/c of that. I have a 6500k CFL in a clip-on lamp. My NitrAtes have been ZERO since shortly after adding the Chaeto & they were hovering around 10ppm.

Please send a pic of you setup Tango. I am thinking of doing the same thing with my sump. Not sure if mine will convert though. Need to see a picture :)

Please send a pic of you setup Tango. I am thinking of doing the same thing with my sump. Not sure if mine will convert though. Need to see a picture :)

Here's w/ the light on. The LR & Chaeto are to the right below the egg crate. Bubble trap in the middle and protein skimmer & return pump in left section. I have my sponge upright so it only blocks half closer to the area the Chaeto is to hopefully catch stray pieces but not obstruct water flow. There's also some filter floss in there for Copepods to inhabit & when I'm ready, I'll put that in the DT to transfer them.
image-631563668.jpg

Here's w/ the light off. Maybe I can take a better pic in daylight tomorrow.
image-2013632680.jpg

I see now. I don't have that middle section. Is that the bubble trap? Did you add a piece of acrylic to create it or did it come that way? Here's a pic of my setup, but I really want to have a fuge. Looked at buying one last week but all stores had the priced at $300! Everything is so cramped in there I don't know if I could make another section

Attachments

• image-4210660612.jpg
    image-4210660612.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 95
I see now. I don't have that middle section. Is that the bubble trap? Did you add a piece of acrylic to create it or did it come that way? Here's a pic of my setup, but I really want to have a fuge. Looked at buying one last week but all stores had the priced at $300! Everything is so cramped in there I don't know if I could make another section

Bought my tank used but I assume the sump came this way commercially. Yeah, it doesn't look like you have much room. I may make my own out of 20g some day. I'm pretty handy. Or just watch Craigslist for a good deal. I'm sick of picking Chaeto off my pump & skimmer. Can you put your skimmer outside the sump, I have that option w/ mine.

I never thought about putting my skimmer outside the sump. I suppose with a little PVC I could extend the arm where the water discharges. Ive got plenty of empty space in the cabinet. Thanks for the idea!

I never thought about putting my skimmer outside the sump. I suppose with a little PVC I could extend the arm where the water discharges. Ive got plenty of empty space in the cabinet. Thanks for the idea!

Mine is the type that has the option of hanging on the back of the tank, so why not on the sump, right?? It has an extra sort of J-shaped tube so the pump/powerhead remains inside the sump & the part the water comes out of the skimmer like a waterfall, it would hook on the side the sump.

Back
Top Bottom